Chad Harris

Default How to do "microtext page bottom" used to label docs

Using Word 03 on an XP SP2 box.

I have noticed on docs from time to time (several legal) that often the
creator or the creator's secretary or assistant in a lot of cases has put a
detailed title of the document whether it's a motion or anything else
centered down at the bottom of the page with the tiny "page 1 of 11" for
example. They can get a lot down there because it's tiny and I want to do
this with the documents I'm making. I will start searching with awkward
terms like "tiny font bottom page Word" but hopefully someone will show me
how they do this.

Thanks much in advance,

Chad Harris

Daiya Mitchell

The space that repeats at the bottom of every page is called the footer, and
this webpage will explain how to do what you want.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a very small font
size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font Size is 8
points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238 points, in
half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box and press
Enter.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Chad Harris

Daiya and Suzaane--Tx much for great prompt help that alwyas comes in this
group and
Tx for the link to Suzanne's very helpful site. Hopefully I can get into
doing the small font fotters properly. I'm not sure still though if their
purpose on these legal docs has any retrieval function at all because the
footers contain more than the titles--i.e. they often contain office
addresses, motion titles, case styles, and pages--so I'm wondering besides a
style if they have any retrieval significance

Chad Harris

[...]

Jim

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a very small font
size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font Size is 8
points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238 points, in
half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box and press
Enter.

Just a rhetorical question, Suzanne: who would ever use a 1,238 point
letter? At something over 17 inches, wouldn't this be a poster child
for the "jaggies?"

Blessed be, for sure...

TF

Jim

Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a character
1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts will
comfortably fit on paper that size.

Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: wrote:
:
: And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a very small
font
: size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font Size is 8
: points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238 points, in
: half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box and press
: Enter.
:
: Just a rhetorical question, Suzanne: who would ever use a 1,238 point
: letter? At something over 17 inches, wouldn't this be a poster child
: for the "jaggies?"
:
:
: Blessed be, for sure...

Thanks for the correction, Terry. I used to always look that figure up in
"Limits for Word," but now that Word's Help no longer has that topic...
sigh The curious thing is that either the Help topic or the KB or both
implied that the 1,638-point limit was determined by Word's 22" page size
limit. This was actually stated as 1,638 points = 22". Yet 1,638 points ÷ 72
points/inch = 22.75". I've never understood that.

: wrote:
:
: And the "tiny font" part comes from formatting the text at a very small
font
: size. Although the smallest size shown in the spin box for Font Size is

8
: points, you can format text at any size from 1 point to 1,238 points,

in
: half-point increments. Just type the size you want into the box and

press
: Enter.
:
: Just a rhetorical question, Suzanne: who would ever use a 1,238 point
: letter? At something over 17 inches, wouldn't this be a poster child
: for the "jaggies?"
:
:
: Blessed be, for sure...

TF

The ¾" margin is for trimming the page to allow for full bleeds. (What
waffle will I think of next!)

In reality, in 1980, the point was redefined as 0.013888" (the PostScript
Point). So 1638 x 0.013888 = 22.7485" (approx.). The whole mess of Point
Sizes is explained in the link below. I can only say that after reading it,
it is hardly surprising that Word repaginates whenever the printer driver is
changed.

http://home.att.net/~tom.brodhead/points.htm

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Thanks for the correction, Terry. I used to always look that figure up in
: "Limits for Word," but now that Word's Help no longer has that topic...
: sigh The curious thing is that either the Help topic or the KB or both
: implied that the 1,638-point limit was determined by Word's 22" page size
: limit. This was actually stated as 1,638 points = 22". Yet 1,638 points ÷
72
: points/inch = 22.75". I've never understood that.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Jim
:
: Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a character
: 1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts will
: comfortably fit on paper that size.
:
: Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Thanks for the link; this is interesting stuff. Who knew that English and
French inches were different? Not an issue any more, of course. But the
article says that "a point was defined as exactly 1/72 of an inch
(.013888"), so we get back to my original calculation: multiplying by
0.013888 gives 22.7485"; dividing by 72 gives 22.75".

÷
[...]

: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Chad Harris

Suzanne--

I got the footer done easily. Thanks for all the good information from you
all but it defaulted to what was an acceptable size for me--slightly bigger
than the ones I see--and I see no real way to guage what size it is because
if you highlight the text the footer gives you and then go to FormatFont
you are going to see the text of the main doc reflected.

So I tried typing in the numbers "1" and then "1.5" and then "2.0" and all
that emerged when I typed into the footer was a squirley behaving line that
you can't highlight and cut and then I tried to figure out how to delete the
footer.

What in the world is going on with that line--I wasn't able to select
smaller numbers than 8 the default listing--sure I could type them in but
all I then saw was a little funny line. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm
doing wrong because I know it can be done when you say it can.

Thanks,

Chad Harris

[...]

: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Jim

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:19:28 -0000, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

Jim

Not at All. Word will accept paper up to 22" x 22" on which a character
1,638 points (which is what Suzanne meant to type) in most fonts will
comfortably fit on paper that size.

Certainly a figure 8 in Arial, Bold 1,638points has room to spare!

Thanx, Terry. My perception of the point-inch relationship must be
off. I would figure 1,638 points to be closer to 23 inches. And gosh -
I don't think too many of us non-professionals out her have printers
that will accept 22x22 paper, regardless of what Word will accept. And
my funal questions still stands: when I input a "figure 8 in Arial,
Bold", the "jaggies" are rather prominent on my screen; wouldn't they
also show up on paper?

Blessed be, for sure...

Are you pressing Enter after typing in a size? I wouldn't suggest using a
font size as small as 1 or even 2; this is so "micro" that it will be
unreadable. About the smallest size that will be readable will be 6 pts
(maybe 4 if you have good eyes).

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
[...]

: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

TF

Jim

As Suzanne implies, what you see on screen is the result of the Screen Font:
theoretically, the Screen Font and Printed Font should look identical. But
in reality, this depends on your graphics card and driver, the quality of
the screen and the font being used. The screen resolution is set at 72dpi,
which is not particularly high compared to the printer, but is usually more
than satisfactory for the eye. However, jaggies in large fonts is command
and difficult to overcome. If you have a TFT monitor, you can use the Clear
Type option in Display Properties under Effects. You can also download a
free enhancement tool called ClearTweak from
http://www.ioisland.com/cleartweak/ : some people hate the smoothing effect
of ClearTweak, others love it. But it is easy to switch off if you don't
like it.

Terry

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Chad Harris

Suzanne--I pressed OK and so that should be tantamount to same thing and it
gives a little line that is real hard to erase unless I should hit the
delete key on the keyboard to erase the line or just hit delete on the
keyboard as I was taught here to delete the whole footer and start over.
The 6 gives perspective. The default whatever it is is working well once I
cut and paste so it doesn't get in the way of my page number that I like to
put in the middle of a doc page.

So now I have 2 things to deal with. The challenge that you all say you can
go down towards 1 and 2 font size for fotter yet I can't get it done and
also I'd like to figure out what size my default font that works for the
footer without setting it to anything is. Again, the default size if you
hit font while the footer is up for whatever you need to put in it is
working but when you look at the font it shows whatever font is going on in
the *main document* at the time.

Also in your experience do people ever use larger than Times New Roman 12
(14 for example) in legal documents? 12 seems to small and 14 too large.

Tia,

Chad Harris

[...]

: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

If you printed out the 1-point or 2-point type, you might find it looked
like type rather than a "little line," but it will still be too small. The
only reason for using anything that small is to make it invisible. For
example, you can format a paragraph mark as 1 point in order to make it take
up no appreciable space.

Standard font size in Word 2.0's letter templates was 13 points, which I
continue to use. You could use 14-point for headings, but legal documents
tend not to be very creative with formatting.

[...]

: "Jim" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Jim

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:38:47 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Have you tried printing? Word scales all TrueType fonts smoothly.

Yoe are correct (as usual), Ma'am! It printed out just fine!

Blessed be, for sure...
Jim

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:59:42 -0000, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

Jim

As Suzanne implies, what you see on screen is the result of the Screen Font:

You (and Suzanne) are correct, Terry; I never gave a thought to the
screen vs. printer resolutions when I posted. I read, I printed, and I
retract my words!

Blessed be, for sure...