Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default How do I enforce group templates in Word 2007

We have our own company templates and want to ensure these are used by all
employees. However, all the New buttons that allow choice of template seem to
enforce the display, and allow the selection of, standard Microsoft
templates. Is there any way to prevent these being displayed?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword finalword is offline

You can either specify a different directory for your User templates or
remove all the templates from the templates directory to a different location.

You can also modify the New button in Word 2003 so that it doesn't open the
taskpane but rather automatiicaly opens the Templates directory in the New
document dialog box.

"chris" wrote:

We have our own company templates and want to ensure these are used by all
employees. However, all the New buttons that allow choice of template seem to
enforce the display, and allow the selection of, standard Microsoft
templates. Is there any way to prevent these being displayed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks, but unfortunately this doesn't get to the nub of the problem.

A have a folder specified for user tempates and that works fine. The problem
is I can't seem to be able to turn off the display of standard installation
templates - removing from the installation folder only results in the
application re-creating them. In previous Word versions there was an option
not to install templates in the first place but this option appears to have
been removed in 2007.

If I can't remove the standard templates the second possibility is to not
display them on the front end. However, both 'New' buttons in Word 2007 seem
to display tabs or drop downs for standard templates as well as our own User
defined templates.

"chris" wrote:

We have our own company templates and want to ensure these are used by all
employees. However, all the New buttons that allow choice of template seem to
enforce the display, and allow the selection of, standard Microsoft
templates. Is there any way to prevent these being displayed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can remove the installed templates (from view, anyway) with a Registry
edit:

Renaming this key gets rid of all of them. Word MVP Terry Farrell reports
that "Not only can you dump all the templates, but you can go into the key
and rename individual template keys giving you the choice or dumping all or
just some."

"chris" wrote:

We have our own company templates and want to ensure these are used by
all
employees. However, all the New buttons that allow choice of template
seem to
enforce the display, and allow the selection of, standard Microsoft
templates. Is there any way to prevent these being displayed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks Suzanne but would you mind specifying the actual Registry edit
required (I'm not sure if you meant to put this in your reply but I couldn't
see it).

"chris" wrote:

We have our own company templates and want to ensure these are used by
all
employees. However, all the New buttons that allow choice of template
seem to
enforce the display, and allow the selection of, standard Microsoft
templates. Is there any way to prevent these being displayed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that's very bizarre because I could have sworn the key was in the post
when I sent it! Here it is (again):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Components \8F622368F04F7B849A7B2021EE668F21