Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
yoda1388 yoda1388 is offline

Default Problems with mail merge - dde not working

Up to 1 month ago I used to successfully mail merge from Excel to MS Word in
Office 2000. Suddenly when I try to merge the MS Word application freezes. I
know there is no corruption with files as I can open the Excel file but when
it comes to merging in MS Word, suddenly I cannot do anything.
--
ad
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately
a. it's difficult to tell whether the stream of "security" updates coming
from MS have affected this particular issue. If you don't get updates from
MS (aither automatic or manual) then obviously they haven't)
b. the fact that you can open your Excel file does not necessarily mean
that your Excel file is not corrupt. It may be corrupt enough to cause
problems with DDE.

I would suggest that you try creating a completely new test Excel file and
seeing if you can use it as a mail merge data source using DDE. If you can,
that suggests that your Excel file is corrupt. If so, I suggest you try
exporting the contents to .csv format, importing the .csv file back into
Excel, and saving the file under another name. Then see if you can connect
to that. Obviously, if you have a lot of formulae etc. that will not be
enough to restore your spreadsheet, but it's a start.

Another possibility is that Word, or Word's Normal.dot template, has been
corrupted. You can try following the relevant bits of the following article,
even though it describes solutions to a different problem:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Peter Jamieson

"yoda1388" wrote in message
Up to 1 month ago I used to successfully mail merge from Excel to MS Word
in
Office 2000. Suddenly when I try to merge the MS Word application freezes.
know there is no corruption with files as I can open the Excel file but
when
it comes to merging in MS Word, suddenly I cannot do anything.
--
ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
yoda1388 yoda1388 is offline

Thank you very much. I created a new file - no luck. I deleted registry...no
luck. I believe EXCEL may be ok...but whenever I try to create a new mail
merge document....it freezes when I try to Open Data Source...and WORD
becomes unoperational.
--
ad

"yoda1388" wrote in message
Up to 1 month ago I used to successfully mail merge from Excel to MS Word
in
Office 2000. Suddenly when I try to merge the MS Word application freezes.
know there is no corruption with files as I can open the Excel file but
when
it comes to merging in MS Word, suddenly I cannot do anything.
--
ad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The only other thing I know to do is try using Word Help|Check and repair:
you'll need your Word/Office CDs. if it still doesn't work, you may have to
file a support incident on the MS website.

Peter Jamieson
news