Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig S Craig S is offline

Default Word Doc Date Updates Automatically

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007 today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word Template
launch every time. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig S Craig S is offline

From my question above: Forget the question about Checking the "Preserve
Formatting..." Box in Insert/Field/Create Date. Keeping the Last Date Typed
is the real issue and the Create Date Field is obviously Not Where to go as I
may want to change the Create Date originally typed but then I want that new
one to remain without Auto-Updating to Today's date. Any Help appreciated.

"Craig S" wrote:

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007 today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word Template
launch every time. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

IN teh template check your insert date instruction. There is a check box at
the bottom for UPDATE AUTOMAICALLY, which defaults to "on". Re-insert the
instruction without this option checked. Reopening the document will not then
change teh original creation date, but you can still manulally change that
date.

From my question above: Forget the question about Checking the "Preserve

"Craig S" wrote:

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007 today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word Template
launch every time. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig S Craig S is offline

Thanks, JR, for the Reply. I found "Update Automatically" box Un-Checked in
Insert/Date & Time for the letter I had to reverse back earlier; This happens
randomly but knowing how to Reverse back to (at least) the Create Date is
worth something. Thanks again.

"JR Hester" wrote:

IN teh template check your insert date instruction. There is a check box at
the bottom for UPDATE AUTOMAICALLY, which defaults to "on". Re-insert the
instruction without this option checked. Reopening the document will not then
change teh original creation date, but you can still manulally change that
date.

From my question above: Forget the question about Checking the "Preserve

"Craig S" wrote:

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007 today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word Template
launch every time. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The setting of "Update automatically" applies only to dates you are about to
insert, not those that have been inserted previously. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm for more on various
kinds of date fields that may serve your needs.

"JR Hester" wrote:

IN teh template check your insert date instruction. There is a check box

at
the bottom for UPDATE AUTOMAICALLY, which defaults to "on". Re-insert

the
instruction without this option checked. Reopening the document will not

then
change teh original creation date, but you can still manulally change

that
date.

"Craig S" wrote:

From my question above: Forget the question about Checking the

"Preserve

"Craig S" wrote:

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007

today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a

new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During

Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's

Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word

Template
launch every time. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig S Craig S is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. I marked the spot and read with interest. By the way, I'm
not sure I'd advertise Fairhope as the more who discover Scenic 98 and the
area there will become some of your zillion "new" neighbors.

"JR Hester" wrote:

IN teh template check your insert date instruction. There is a check box

at
the bottom for UPDATE AUTOMAICALLY, which defaults to "on". Re-insert

the
instruction without this option checked. Reopening the document will not

then
change teh original creation date, but you can still manulally change

that
date.

"Craig S" wrote:

From my question above: Forget the question about Checking the

"Preserve

"Craig S" wrote:

A 2003 Word letter created & dated 11/6/06 showed February 8, 2007

today. How
do I insure that the Date "last typed" remains each time I start a

new Word
document and date it? Does chking "Preserve Formatting During

Updates" do it
in (Insert/Field/Create date) ?? Can't figure why Some .doc's

Change the
date and Some Keep the create date but I start with the same Word

Template
launch every time. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We will get them whether I advertise it or not. g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The setting of "Update automatically" applies only to dates you are

about to
insert, not those that have been inserted previously. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm for more on various
kinds of date fields that may serve your needs.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JR Hester" wrote:

IN teh template check your insert date instruction. There is a check

box
at
the bottom for UPDATE AUTOMAICALLY, which defaults to "on".

Re-insert
the
instruction without this option checked. Reopening the document will

not
then
change teh original creation date, but you can still manulally

change
that
date.

"Craig S" wrote: