Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffJ JeffJ is offline

Default Open Word 2007 Doc With Word 2003

How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with Word 2003 I
have installed?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You'll need the converter -

JeffJ wrote:
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with Word
2003 I have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Office 2007 Compatibility Pack will let you do that:

It works with Office XP and Office 2003, and lets you open Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 files.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with Word 2003
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

Jeff,
Best thing to do would be to download the compatability pack from Microsofts
download cent

Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"JeffJ" schreef in bericht
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with Word 2003
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ralph Nitsch Ralph Nitsch is offline

Per download instructions, I downloaded all critical office patches and then
downloaded the Compatibility Pack on two separate PCs with both reflecting
the pack successfully installed. However, when I attempt to open a 2007 Word
document in 2003 Word. I continue to receive a file conversion window versus
the document. Ideas on how to resolve? Thanks!

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with Word 2003
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have Word options set to 'confirm conversion at open' then of course
you will get the request to choose the conversion option as Word 2007 is not
a native format.

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with
Word 2003 I
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ralph Nitsch[_2_] Ralph Nitsch[_2_] is offline

I confirmed the option was unchecked. I then checked the option to test
behavior and a 'Convert File' box opens with list of language options. When
I uncheck the 'confirm conversion at open' I receive a 'File Conversion -
File Name' box that requests 'Select the encoding that makes your document
readable. Text encoding: Windows (Default)...MS-DOS...Other Encoding with a
list of many, many languages in a box to the right. Again, this is after
confirming all patches and receiving a successful Compatibility Pack install
message on two separate PCs. Thanks very much for any additional ideas.

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with
Word 2003 I
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is usually an indication that the document is corrupt. Word cannot
determine from the file what converter to use. Are you able to open the file
with any of the options or is it just garbage?

If you want to send me a sample document to the link on my web site, i will
have a look at it in Word 2007 tomorrow to see if that throws up any ideas.

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with
Word 2003 I
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ralph Nitsch[_2_] Ralph Nitsch[_2_] is offline

Ok thanks. I will have the sender provide a test 2007 Word document to nail
down if the original document was corrupt. If still an issue, I will send
the document to you via your site. Really appreciate your time. Regards,
Ralph.

"JeffJ" wrote in message
How can I open a Word 2007 document that was emailed to me with
Word 2003 I
have installed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ralph Nitsch[_2_] Ralph Nitsch[_2_] is offline

Graham - the original document appears to be corrupt. The sender provided a
2nd 2007 Word document that opened without a problem. Best regards....Ralph