Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wai

Default Wordpad Error

I encountered a problem when I tried to open a Wordpad attachment file. Error
message appeared : Wordpad has caused an error in MSWRD 832 CNV, Wordpad
will now close. If you continue top excperience problems try restarting your
computer.

Please advise how to solve this problem.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed O'Brien

The file has been saved in an incompatible format for Wordpad which has a
very limited choice of formats. If you don't have Word go here and download
Abiword http://www.abisource.com/ It's a cross platform word processor, is
free and will probably do the job.

Good luck,

Ed

"Wai" wrote in message
I encountered a problem when I tried to open a Wordpad attachment file.
Error
message appeared : Wordpad has caused an error in MSWRD 832 CNV, Wordpad
will now close. If you continue top excperience problems try restarting
your
computer.

Please advise how to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

I assume from the fact that you are asking in a Word group that you are
trying to open an e-mail message attachment directly in Word and you are
getting the error?

It is anyone's guess what the problem is and probably not helped by the fact
that (I suspect) you are not displaying filename extensions so you don't
really have a clue what the attachment is? Set Windows Explorer not to hide
the extensions of know file types and then we can see what the full filename
is. Wordpad files are (normally) in RTF format.

Save the attachment to the hard drive. Open Word, then try and open the
file. If you still get an error message - try downloading the old Word 6
filter from the downloads page of my web site. (Word 6 used RTF format).

It is possible that the attachment has nothing to do with Wordpad (though of
course you may know different) but is simply corrupt. Ask whoever sent it to
zip it and send it again. E-mailing sometimes corrupts uncompressed Word
documents.