Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mudshark

Default automatically update a repeated phrase

probably a dumb question - what I want to do is update multiple instances of
a repeated phrase or word by changing it in one place. Do I use fields ?
bookmarks ?
E.G I have 5 references in my document to another document called
xyz_v1.doc. If this other document changes to xyz_v2.doc can I just change
that once and have the other 4 link to that rather than change it 5 times ?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Investigate the REF field. Alternatively, you may want to use an AutoText
field or IncludeText field (which would require updating the AutoText entry
or file that contains the doc name--the latter definitely overkill for this
purpose). You could even do this with a StyleRef field if the document name
is the only text formatted with the style (a specific character style
invented for the purpose).

"mudshark" wrote in message
probably a dumb question - what I want to do is update multiple instances

of
a repeated phrase or word by changing it in one place. Do I use fields ?
bookmarks ?
E.G I have 5 references in my document to another document called
xyz_v1.doc. If this other document changes to xyz_v2.doc can I just change
that once and have the other 4 link to that rather than change it 5 times

?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

From the FAQ

19. How can I enter something once in a document and have it repeat
elsewhere?
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Charles Kenyon