Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ben K. Bullock

Default Selecting text with the mouse

When I select text with the mouse, Word frequently "guesses" what I want to
select. For example, if I select

XYZ ABC DEF

then if I have chosen only YZ, then word assumes I want X as well, and when
I choose ABC, Word assumes that I want to include any space or return
character which comes after it, so I get "ABC " rather than "ABC". The
problem is, Word's guesses of what I want are invariably wrong, and this
behaviour drives me slightly insane. The trick I use to overcome it is to
move the cursor over the space and then move it back to C with the mouse
button held down. That way I get only "ABC", not "ABC ". Is there a way to
turn off the "guessing" behaviour?

Thanks very much for any help with this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed O'Brien

Hi, Ben.

You can switch this facility off....

Go to Tools//Options and select the "Edit" tab. Uncheck "When selecting,
automatically select entire word".

Ed

"Ben K. Bullock" wrote in message
When I select text with the mouse, Word frequently "guesses" what I want
to select. For example, if I select

XYZ ABC DEF

then if I have chosen only YZ, then word assumes I want X as well, and
when I choose ABC, Word assumes that I want to include any space or return
character which comes after it, so I get "ABC " rather than "ABC". The
problem is, Word's guesses of what I want are invariably wrong, and this
behaviour drives me slightly insane. The trick I use to overcome it is to
move the cursor over the space and then move it back to C with the mouse
button held down. That way I get only "ABC", not "ABC ". Is there a way to
turn off the "guessing" behaviour?

Thanks very much for any help with this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ben K. Bullock

"Ed O'Brien" wrote in message
Hi, Ben.

You can switch this facility off....

Go to Tools//Options and select the "Edit" tab. Uncheck "When selecting,
automatically select entire word".

Ed

Thanks very much for that tip. It solves my problem completely.

"Ben K. Bullock" wrote in message
When I select text with the mouse, Word frequently "guesses" what I want
to select. For example, if I select

XYZ ABC DEF

then if I have chosen only YZ, then word assumes I want X as well, and
when I choose ABC, Word assumes that I want to include any space or
return character which comes after it, so I get "ABC " rather than "ABC".
The problem is, Word's guesses of what I want are invariably wrong, and
this behaviour drives me slightly insane. The trick I use to overcome it
is to move the cursor over the space and then move it back to C with the
mouse button held down. That way I get only "ABC", not "ABC ". Is there a
way to turn off the "guessing" behaviour?

Thanks very much for any help with this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:47:44 +0900 from Ben K. Bullock
:
When I select text with the mouse, Word frequently "guesses" what I want to
select. For example, if I select
XYZ ABC DEF
then if I have chosen only YZ, then word assumes I want X as well,

Tools Options Edit
When selecting, select entire word

The problem is, Word's guesses of what I want are invariably wrong,

Microsoft's full slogan (released internally): "Where do you want to
go today? No, you only think you do. We'll take you where you really
want to go even though you don't think you do."

http://OakRoadSystems.com/