Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Northwoods Northwoods is offline

Default regional settings affect calculation fields

I have created a form that has calculation fields. The form was created on a
computer that has US regional settings. I want to install the form for use on
a computer with French regional settings. When I run the form on the French
computer the calculations are incorrect. They are like $7.20 instead of
$720.00. I cannot change the regional settings to US because French regional
settings are necessary for particular program to run.
Thank you anyone who can advise what I can do to correct the situation.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Northwoods

Northwoods wrote:
I have created a form that has calculation fields. The form was created on a
computer that has US regional settings. I want to install the form for use on
a computer with French regional settings. When I run the form on the French
computer the calculations are incorrect. They are like $7.20 instead of
$720.00. I cannot change the regional settings to US because French regional
settings are necessary for particular program to run.

You can set your regional settings (Start | Control Panel) to French for
testing. When such things happen, the most likely culprit is:

- a problem with the decimal separator (most likely in your case), or
- with the list separator.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Northwoods Northwoods is offline

Thank you Robert,
I temporarily set my computer to the French Regional Settings and found that
it was the "," vs the "." separator. Now I have to go to the French computer
and see if changing the separator to a "." affects the program.
If it turns out that I can't change the "," to a "." will I have to change
my formulas to French format? For example this is one of the formulas =
(RoomRate)*(NightsStay)\# "$0.00"
Thanks for the help

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Northwoods

Northwoods wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Northwoods wrote:
I temporarily set my computer to the French Regional Settings and found that
it was the "," vs the "." separator. Now I have to go to the French computer
and see if changing the separator to a "." affects the program.
If it turns out that I can't change the "," to a "." will I have to change
my formulas to French format? For example this is one of the formulas =
(RoomRate)*(NightsStay)\# "$0.00"

The formula and/or its input; I take it that "RoomRate" references a a
bookmark? Then the bookmark's content needs to be in the desired format
already.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Northwoods Northwoods is offline

Exactly, RoomRate is a drop down field in the following format 120.00 and
NightsStay is also a drop down with values from 1 to 21.
Are you suggesting I change the decimal point to a comma in order for it to
work in the French computer? I will give it a try.
Thank you

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Northwoods wrote:
I temporarily set my computer to the French Regional Settings and found that
it was the "," vs the "." separator. Now I have to go to the French computer
and see if changing the separator to a "." affects the program.
If it turns out that I can't change the "," to a "." will I have to change
my formulas to French format? For example this is one of the formulas =
(RoomRate)*(NightsStay)\# "$0.00"

The formula and/or its input; I take it that "RoomRate" references a a
bookmark? Then the bookmark's content needs to be in the desired format
already.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Northwoods Northwoods is offline

Hi Robert,
Just to close off this discussion, I was able to change the comma decimal to
a period and the French Program worked great. So all is well.
Thanks for all your help

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Northwoods wrote:
I temporarily set my computer to the French Regional Settings and found that
it was the "," vs the "." separator. Now I have to go to the French computer
and see if changing the separator to a "." affects the program.
If it turns out that I can't change the "," to a "." will I have to change
my formulas to French format? For example this is one of the formulas =
(RoomRate)*(NightsStay)\# "$0.00"

The formula and/or its input; I take it that "RoomRate" references a a
bookmark? Then the bookmark's content needs to be in the desired format
already.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Northwoods wrote:
Just to close off this discussion, I was able to change the comma decimal to
a period and the French Program worked great. So all is well.
Thanks for all your help

You're welcome, and thanks for posting the results -- whoever looks for
this through groups.google.com will be grateful.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS