Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Naren Sarma Naren Sarma is offline

Default is it possible to rename built-in styles

Hi all,

I want to make my own style sheets globally, when i tried making templates,
certain styles like Heading 1, Normal etc. are not changing even i tried
rename option. I want to change all these to Heading, Subhead, body text etc
like in InDesign so once i import the file to InDesign I don't have to apply
styles again. Any possibilities in Word 2003? Thanks in advance

Naren Sarma
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Word's built-in styles cannot be renamed - they're used internally by other
features of the program.

You can create new styles identical to them with whatever names you want to
use, but unless I'm incorrectly guessing your purpose you'd be making excess
work for yourself. Are you trying to avoid conflict with styles in InD? Or
wanting to match styles used in the Word doc with styles in the InD file? If
that's your concern...

In the InD Place dialog select the option (lower left) to Show Import
Options. Use the features at the bottom of that Import Options dialog to
determine how conflicting styles will be handled or choose the Custom Style
Import option to map the incoming (Word) styles to the corresponding InD
style.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones