Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default physician letters

Is it possible to have a program where has an interface to type in 'patient
name', or 'referring physician', or 'blood pressure value' and then have the
data come out in the intended position in a pre-written letter template?
I'm sure these exist in business but can't tell if it is a macro I'm trying
to learn how to use or something else?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

John,

This could probably be done using ASK or FILLIN fields, but a macro (VBA)
solution might be a bit cleaner in execution. Of course, some would argue
that, because I write VBA for a living, I see VBA as the solution to pretty
much everything - the old "a man with a hammer sees every problem as a nail"
thing. ;-P

Note that a VBA solution would require a bit of programming skill, although
for something as simple as you've described, it shouldn't be beyond most
people with a bit of gumption. See the following for some tips on getting
started:

Greg Maxey's Word Tips pages - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
Graham Mayor's Word Tips pages - http://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm
The Macros/VBA section of the MVPs site -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/index.htm
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a program where has an interface to type in
'patient
name', or 'referring physician', or 'blood pressure value' and then have
the
data come out in the intended position in a pre-written letter template?
I'm sure these exist in business but can't tell if it is a macro I'm
trying
to learn how to use or something else?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A UserForm (which does require some VBA) seems to me the best approach to
this. A novice can get started with UserForms by reference to
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm and
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm.

http://word.mvps.org

"John" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a program where has an interface to type in
'patient
name', or 'referring physician', or 'blood pressure value' and then have
the
data come out in the intended position in a pre-written letter template?
I'm sure these exist in business but can't tell if it is a macro I'm
trying
to learn how to use or something else?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

this is great. i'll try those sites but my days of hand typing letter after
letter, or worse, waiting two weeks for a badly typed dictation, may be over.

"John" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a program where has an interface to type in
'patient
name', or 'referring physician', or 'blood pressure value' and then have
the
data come out in the intended position in a pre-written letter template?
I'm sure these exist in business but can't tell if it is a macro I'm
trying
to learn how to use or something else?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

John,

*This* kind of programmer (meaning me) does it for hire, although generally
not outside of New Zealand and usually not on a small scale. If this
restriction applies to your particular situation, Greg Maxey has also been
known to do this sort of work; you can contact him through his website.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP