Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darlene

Default cross-reference update

A template in word was created to insert files into. These files are
selected through Microsoft Access which the program works perfectly. When
inserting these documents, one of the documents may be inserted several
times. These documents has figures and tables. Now the figures and tables
field codes updates, but the cross-reference with the text of the document
doesn't update to match the the figure or table numbers. It only refers to
the first drawing the documents inserted. Remember the same document
inserted three to four times, the figures and tables update, i.e., Figure
1-1, Figure 1-2, Table 1-2, Table 1-3, etc... I need a code or a field code
to put at the end of the document will update the cross-reference within the
text of the document. Anyone has any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFybGVuZQ==?=,

A template in word was created to insert files into. These files are
selected through Microsoft Access which the program works perfectly. When
inserting these documents, one of the documents may be inserted several
times. These documents has figures and tables. Now the figures and tables
field codes updates, but the cross-reference with the text of the document
doesn't update to match the the figure or table numbers. It only refers to
the first drawing the documents inserted. Remember the same document
inserted three to four times, the figures and tables update, i.e., Figure
1-1, Figure 1-2, Table 1-2, Table 1-3, etc... I need a code or a field code
to put at the end of the document will update the cross-reference within the
text of the document.

the problem you're seeing is due to the fact that cross-references work with
bookmarks. And bookmarks MUST be UNIQUE within a document. So when you insert
the document the first time, that bookmark is there. But when you insert it
again, the bookmark in the "copy" is lost. All the cross-references reference
that one bookmark.

Your automation solution will need to bookmark the captions and insert (or at
least change) the cross-references in order for this to work.

If I were asked to do something like this, I'd probably start with what you
have. When the document is inserted, I'd bookmark each item again, with a
consecutively numbered bookmark name (increment for each document that's
inserted). Then I'd loop through the fields and replace the bookmark name in
each field code with the new bookmark. At the end, I'd delete the original
bookmark (so that it doesn't get lost when the document is inserted again).

Note that if these cross-references were inserted automatically, they probably
have bookmark names like _Ref############ (some number). These won't be easy to
maintain as described above. It might make sense to bookmark all the captions
manually, with descriptive names you can code against more easily.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)