Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter

Default Numbering

I am recording information in a table within an MS Word document. I would
like each row to begin with a record number. Is there a simple way to have
Word automatically generate this number? I don't want to be an autonumber,
since that number will change if I resort the table. Rather, I want a
permanent record number similar to what Access generates for each entry.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tia Nevitt

So what you really want is the number as if you had typed it, but you want
Word to automatically generate it for you? This sort of thing might work
better in Excel.

You can enter the first 1, 2, 3 in the first three columns, then highlight
the cells, pull down the lower-right corner to cover all the rows that you
want numbered, and then release the mouse button.

The result is a permanent numbering which, to my knowledge will "stay" with
each row until you change it.

"Peter" wrote:

I am recording information in a table within an MS Word document. I would
like each row to begin with a record number. Is there a simple way to have
Word automatically generate this number? I don't want to be an autonumber,
since that number will change if I resort the table. Rather, I want a
permanent record number similar to what Access generates for each entry.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter

Thanks for the reply. Your description of my goals is correct.

Unfortunately, I need to keep the material in Word in order to preserve
specific formatting that will not translate to Excel.

Peter

"Peter" wrote:

I am recording information in a table within an MS Word document. I would
like each row to begin with a record number. Is there a simple way to have
Word automatically generate this number? I don't want to be an autonumber,
since that number will change if I resort the table. Rather, I want a
permanent record number similar to what Access generates for each entry.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tia Nevitt

Excel tables cut and paste rather beautifully into Microsoft Word. If it is
possible for you to work in Excel, you can cut and paste the whole thing back
into Word when you are finished.

If you know how many rows you need, you can generate the nubmers in Excel
and paste them into the Word table.

Another answer might be a macro, something that I do not have a lot of
experience with.

"Peter" wrote:

I am recording information in a table within an MS Word document. I would
like each row to begin with a record number. Is there a simple way to have
Word automatically generate this number? I don't want to be an autonumber,
since that number will change if I resort the table. Rather, I want a
permanent record number similar to what Access generates for each entry.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Peter, select a blank column where you want the numbers to appear. Hit the
number button on the toolbar. No number, right? Your column is too skinny
for the indentation, that's all. So, while it's all still selected, hit
Format--Paragraph and type 0 into the left indent. Each row should have a
new number when it's created.
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com