Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diane@CRUE Diane@CRUE is offline

Default Word won't maintain default settings I set for all new documents?

I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings when my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new default
settings for all future documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are on a corporate network you might be prevented to make font
changes. Talk to the administrator.

On the other hand, if you are using a stand-alone (or home) computer, you
may have installed a poorly designed add-in which doesn't allow you to save
to the Normal template. A work-around that you can use is the following:
Open the Normal template as a file (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted
Templates, select Normal, and click Open) and make the font changes directly
to the Normal style. Save and close the file.

A long-term solution is to uninstall the add-in.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Diane@CRUE" wrote in message
news
I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings when my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new
default
settings for all future documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If an application installed the add-in, you can sometimes uninstall it via
that same application. If the application doesn't offer that possibility,
you can uninstall add-ins manually, by moving them out of the Startup folder
(in your user profile).

COM add-ins can be disabled via Office button | Word Options, Add-Ins
category; in the Manage box, choose "COM Add-ins," and then click Go.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
If you are on a corporate network you might be prevented to make font
changes. Talk to the administrator.

On the other hand, if you are using a stand-alone (or home) computer, you
may have installed a poorly designed add-in which doesn't allow you to
save to the Normal template. A work-around that you can use is the
following: Open the Normal template as a file (in the Open dialog box,
click Trusted Templates, select Normal, and click Open) and make the font
changes directly to the Normal style. Save and close the file.

A long-term solution is to uninstall the add-in.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Diane@CRUE" wrote in message
news
I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings when
my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new
default
settings for all future documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cytrog Cytrog is offline

Default Word won't maintain default settings I set for all new documen

I'm having the same problem in standalone 2007. Just installed it on a fresh
Win7 install and haven't installed any add-ins in any apps yet. Only the
Win7 and Office 2007 updates have been installed. Something isn't right.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

"Diane@CRUE" wrote in message
news
I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings when
my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new
default
settings for all future documents?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are sure that no add-in has been installed, try renaming the Normal
template (with Word closed). If older versions of Word exists on the
machine, you should rename both normal.dotm and normal.dot.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

"Diane@CRUE" wrote in message
news I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and
in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so
the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings
when
my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new
default
settings for all future documents?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cytrog Cytrog is offline

This system has new motherboard, RAM, processor, video graphics card, and
hard drive. Nothing was installed on it, which includes older versions of
anything. Still haven't installed any add-ins. Word opens correctly with my
saved font choice ONLY when I open Normal.dotm. Otherwise, it keeps going
back to the default in existing documents and new ones. Strange.

"Diane@CRUE" wrote in message
news I have set the default settings in Home - Font for my default font and
in
Page Layout-Page Set Up for my margin settings. I selected 'Yes' so
the
default will pertain to all new documents. The defaults don't stay.
Opening/starting a new document goes back to the original settings
when
my
computer was set up with Microsoft Word 2007. How can I keep my new
default
settings for all future documents?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, that certainly sounds strange.

Going back a step here, how did you change the defaults?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP