Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John

Default xml files

In XP, if I click on an xml file it acts as if the file came from the
internet. I get this message

Do you want to open or save this file?

Then a warning about downloading things from the internet.

This is crazy because the file is on my computer and I'm not even logged
onto the internet.

Help

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi John,

I think this question would better be asked in a WINDOWS newsgroup, rather
than one for Word?

Generally, I use the right-click when opening files, and choose "Open with"
(but that's because I open the same files in different programs,
regularly).

In XP, if I click on an xml file it acts as if the file came from the
internet. I get this message

Do you want to open or save this file?

Then a warning about downloading things from the internet.

This is crazy because the file is on my computer and I'm not even logged
onto the internet.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi John,

I just noticed it is being opened by IE instead of word.

XML file will generally be opened by IE. And i think this
is some kind of security setting in IE, FWIW.

For an XML file to be opened in Word (or Excel) by default,
it has to contain the correct PI (processing instruction)
that the Office 2003 application inserts into XML files
when you save them as XML (instead of *.doc or *.xls).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

How do I open multiple Word 2003 files to display on dual monitors mally Microsoft Word Help 6 July 4th 05 11:00 AM
Files open as read only Danny Sanders Microsoft Word Help 2 March 7th 05 11:27 PM
Upgrading MS Office caused Word Docs to DISAPPEAR?! Friendship Center New Users 6 January 27th 05 09:56 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM