Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jacinthe Jacinthe is offline

Default Excluding Words from Dictionary

I know this has been covered multiple times here, but I need help. I have an
issue with creating professional documents for work that contain the word
"thru" ... which is not a word at all, but rather a lazy-man's abbreviation.
It is included in the Word dictionary and so is not being marked as a
misspelling in the documents I proofread.

I have created an .exc file named MSSP3EN.exc and placed it in both:

C:\Documents and Settings\Lorena Sims\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof

I know there is an article at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm, but our work
firewall blocks that site.

So I'm stumped. Am I missing a step? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jacinthe Jacinthe is offline

I should note that I am using Office XP (sadly, with no service packs - a
separate issue, I hope), and Windows XP, fully updated.

"Jacinthe" wrote:

I know this has been covered multiple times here, but I need help. I have an
issue with creating professional documents for work that contain the word
"thru" ... which is not a word at all, but rather a lazy-man's abbreviation.
It is included in the Word dictionary and so is not being marked as a
misspelling in the documents I proofread.

I have created an .exc file named MSSP3EN.exc and placed it in both:

C:\Documents and Settings\Lorena Sims\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof

I know there is an article at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...ordFromDic.htm, but our work
firewall blocks that site.

So I'm stumped. Am I missing a step? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Help file at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...892021033.aspx
tells pretty much the same thing as the article you can't access (but you
should really speak to your network admin about that!). In any case, it
sounds as if you have done this correctly, assuming you saved the .exc file
as a text file but made sure that .txt wasn't added to the file extension.

"Jacinthe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jacinthe Jacinthe is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. I double checked everything and still no joy. I will try
again later this afternoon (delete and start over ...)

As for the website being blocked, our firewall blocks access to every
website but the 5-10 we use for work (microsoft.com being okay because of
automatic updates). It's not usually a problem except for troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help ...