Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kachunk kachunk is offline

Default how do i get the maori macrons to work in word 2003

I have downloaded and installed the maori macron executable from microsoft. I
ned to know how to get them to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You shouldn't actually need any sort of extra stuff. All the vowels
with macron are part of at least the basic extended fonts (like Times
New Roman, Arial, Tahoma, etc., and probably quite a few others). Just
locate the group of macronned vowels (I think they're in the part of
the font called "Latin Extended A" on the Insert Symbol page), and
assign a keyboard shortcut of your own choosing to each one.

I use Ctrl-Alt-hyphen, followed by the vowel, for all my macrons.

If the thing you installed includes a software keyboard that already
assigns the macronned vowels to a convenient key combination, you need
to activate it in Windows: Start Control Panel Regional & Language
Options Language Details Add Maori; or maybe it's just a
different keyboard listed among the keyboards for English (keyboards
are in the other part of the Add panel).

On Jun 12, 7:22*pm, kachunk wrote:
I have downloaded and installed the maori macron executable from microsoft.. I
ned to know how to get them to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only download I find at Microsoft if I search Office Online for "Maori
macron" is the Maori Language Interface Pack for Office 2003
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=mi).

But perhaps kachunk is referring to the New Zealand Maori Keyboard
Definition
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en),
which "reconfigures the US/International keyboards supplied in New Zealand
to support the macron characters used in the Maori language."

"After installing the Maori Keyboard definition a user can press the [~`]
key once then any vowel. This applies to upper case as well as lower case
letters. If a user requires the left quotation the user simply presses the
key twice. If the user needs to use the tilde character, they simply use the
traditional method of [Shift]+[~`]. i.e. the a character would be entered by
pressing the [~`] key then the [a] key." (I suspect that last sentence was
meant to come after the first or second sentence.)

Obviously, these keyboard shortcuts could easily be defined in Word, but
presumably with the download they work Windows-wide.