Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly V[_2_] Kelly V[_2_] is offline

Default Headings with numbers AND letters - eek!

Hello everyone!

Got a question for all you experts out there that's making my brain
implode... I'm using Word 2007 and I'm still getting used to it, so while
I'm proficient in Word, there's still a lot I don't know about this
particular version, bear with me...

I'm preparing a template for a HUGE document that needs to have 3 heading
levels in the style of:

PART A Major Heading 1
A-1 Not-so-major Heading 2
A-1.1 Minor Heading 3
PART B Major Heading 1
B-1 Not-so-major Heading 2
B-1.1 Minor Heading 3

I've got lots of experience in Word, but I have never ever ever in my life
had to make headings in this way before! I've only ever had to make
multi-level lists, y'know, your basic 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, yadda yadda yadda. I've
tried modifying the multi-level list styles and creating new ones, but if I
try to insert Heading 1 (a.k.a. "A") into Heading 2 (in order to get my
beloved "A-1"), Word automatically converts my Heading 1 to numbers and I end
up with "11." Soooo.....huh?

I'm a complete novice at this kind of heading style, so any help would be
appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Kelly,

Home tab/Paragraph group/Multilevel list button Arrow: choose "Define new
multilevel list".

Select Level 1 from the list on the left. From "Number style for this level"
choose "A,B,C". In "Enter formatting for this number" delete any punctuation and
put PART in front.

Select Level 2 from the list on the left. From "Include level number from"
choose Level 1. Select the "1,2,3" option from "Number style for this level".

Continue in the same manner for Level 3, selecting both Level1 and Level2 from
"Include level number from".

FWIW I encountered an irritating "bug" in the behavior of the "Enter formatting
for this number" box: it would continually remove the number for the current
level as soon as I started editing the punctuation in the box. I found it worked
best if I: deleted the entire entry, inserted the numbers from the previous
levels, typing punctuation as I went, and lastly selected the "Number style for
this level".

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The numbering format you are describing is not that different from the
built-in "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" format, so you can do
the following: On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and click the
built-in format.

Then place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph of the
document, click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. In
the dialog box, click Level 1, and change the "Number style for this level"
to "A, B, C, ..." In the "Enter formatting for number" box, type in PART
followed by a space.

For levels 2--3, change the separator between the "A" and the first "1" in
the "Enter formatting for number" box. When you are done, click OK.

Note that the principles for numbering are the same as in previous versions
of Word, which means that you can still make use of the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

The difference is that you can no longer access the multilevel list dialog
box via the Modify Style dialog box for the top-level paragraph style.
Therefore, you will have to use Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List as described above. A more robust method will be to create
the numbering scheme from scratch as a so-called list style, carefully
defining the formatting for each level and assigning the relevant paragraph
style to each numbering level. That allows you to modify the list more
easily via the Modify Style dialog box for the list style (for example by
right-clicking the style name under "List Styles" at Home tab | Multilevel
List and choosing Modify from the context menu).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kelly V" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly V[_2_] Kelly V[_2_] is offline

Thanks Cindy and Stefan!

I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens - wish me luck!

Kelly

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

List and choosing Modify from the context menu).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kelly V" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly V[_2_] Kelly V[_2_] is offline

Thank you thank you thank you!! It worked, both of your ideas worked, thanks
so much!!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

List and choosing Modify from the context menu).

--

[...]

[...]