Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yelgab yelgab is offline

Default How do I keep my type going left to right across the page?

I am typing a letter in Word 2002 on a new Vista computer. For no obvious
reason, my typing reverted to the beginning of the line instead of to the
right of the previous letters and the space bar and arrows operated in the
opposite direction than they should. The right arrow moved left and the left
arrow moved right.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It seems to think you're in Hebrew or Arabic -- did you recently open
a document from someone over there?

It might not be the same in 2002, but in 2003 when you have an R-to-L
document open, a pair of buttons appears in the toolbar for changing
direction.

On Jun 2, 12:13*pm, yelgab wrote:
I am typing a letter in Word 2002 on a new Vista computer. *For no obvious
reason, my typing reverted to the beginning of the line instead of to the
right of the previous letters and the space bar and arrows operated in the
opposite direction than they should. *The right arrow moved left and the left
arrow moved right.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yelgab yelgab is offline

Yes, that is exactly what it is. This is new computer and the keyboard was
set in Hebrew as its language. I never saw any arrows, but I can't say that
they weren't there. Thank you so much for your help!!

On Jun 2, 12:13 pm, yelgab wrote:
I am typing a letter in Word 2002 on a new Vista computer. For no obvious
reason, my typing reverted to the beginning of the line instead of to the
right of the previous letters and the space bar and arrows operated in the
opposite direction than they should. The right arrow moved left and the left
arrow moved right.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJL CJL is offline

"grammatim" wrote:

It might not be the same in 2002, but in 2003 when you have an R-to-L
document open, a pair of buttons appears in the toolbar for changing
direction.

Where are these buttons? I am working in a hybrid document of U.S. English
and Hebrew origin and I have parts that are R-L and parts that are L-R.

Thanks!

C. Lang
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jun 12, 3:44*pm, CJL wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
It might not be the same in 2002, but in 2003 when you have an R-to-L
document open, a pair of buttons appears in the toolbar for changing
direction.

Where are these buttons? *I am working in a hybrid document of U.S. English
and Hebrew origin and I have parts that are R-L and parts that are L-R. *

They show up on the Formatting toolbar (whether I want them to or
not). If you've never used them or the commands they represent, then
they're probably hiding behind the down-arrow triangle at the right
end of the toolbar where the unused icons hang out.

(If they're really not there, choose Customize instead, go to the list
of All Commands, and drag them to whichever toolbar is convenient for
you. Their names appear to be "Left-to-Right" and "Right-to-Left." (If
you don't go to All Commands, you have to try to guess which
toolbar(s) someone at MS generations ago thought they might best fit
in.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJL CJL is offline

"grammatim" wrote:

(If they're really not there, choose Customize instead, go to the list
of All Commands, and drag them to whichever toolbar is convenient for
you. Their names appear to be "Left-to-Right" and "Right-to-Left." (If
you don't go to All Commands, you have to try to guess which
toolbar(s) someone at MS generations ago thought they might best fit
in.)

THANK-YOU! I was able to drag them off the customize list (interesting how
there are things there that I can never find anywhere else! This will make
my life MUCH easier.

C. Lang