Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Default Word 2007 does not check mispelled words

I have recently installed word 2007 on my computer . Alas, the words that I
misspell are not highlighted in word 2007. Is so frustrating, physically
checking through all my documents for all of the words that were incorrectly
typed. I have tried the suggestions in word options but this have not worked.
I have lost points in my masters degree course because of this.

Help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Lee

lee wrote:
I have recently installed word 2007 on my computer . Alas, the words that I
misspell are not highlighted in word 2007.

an unflagged word might mean a bunch of different things:

- the word is correct
- the word is part of a user dictionary
- there are no proofing tools available/installed for the language the
word is set to

Especially the latest case can be perplexing: Word's language is a word
property (well, actually I think it's a character property): every Word
can have a different language assigned to. Can you check whether your
text is indeed in in the language setting you intend it to be?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Hi Robert,

The problem is the default language is United States English and even if I
type words in Spanish, these words are not highlighted (red underlined). If I
change the default language to say Spanish (Venezuela) all the non Spanish
words will be red underlined.

Could there be a problem with the English dictionary in word 2007?
I am so completely confused.

Lee.
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Lee

lee wrote:
I have recently installed word 2007 on my computer . Alas, the words that I
misspell are not highlighted in word 2007.

an unflagged word might mean a bunch of different things:

- the word is correct
- the word is part of a user dictionary
- there are no proofing tools available/installed for the language the
word is set to

Especially the latest case can be perplexing: Word's language is a word
property (well, actually I think it's a character property): every Word
can have a different language assigned to. Can you check whether your
text is indeed in in the language setting you intend it to be?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

lee wrote:
The problem is the default language is United States English and even if I
type words in Spanish, these words are not highlighted (red underlined). If I
change the default language to say Spanish (Venezuela) all the non Spanish
words will be red underlined.

Could there be a problem with the English dictionary in word 2007?
I am so completely confused.

I'm sure there are a couple of particular problems, but not a general
"doesn't work" (especially with US-EN proofing tools). What language
edition is your Office/Word version?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Hi Robert,

I am using the MS Office Home and Student 2007. I am runing windows Vista on
my computer.

The Office Suite has been set up with English(United States) as the default
language. It was manufactured in Puerto Rico.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

lee wrote:
The problem is the default language is United States English and even if I
type words in Spanish, these words are not highlighted (red underlined). If I
change the default language to say Spanish (Venezuela) all the non Spanish
words will be red underlined.

Could there be a problem with the English dictionary in word 2007?
I am so completely confused.

I'm sure there are a couple of particular problems, but not a general
"doesn't work" (especially with US-EN proofing tools). What language
edition is your Office/Word version?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

lee wrote:
I am using the MS Office Home and Student 2007. I am runing windows Vista on
my computer.

The Office Suite has been set up with English(United States) as the default
language. It was manufactured in Puerto Rico.

was probably a stupid question, since (I reckon) English is part of any
Office edition.

OK, then I don't have much to add. Use setup to repair the installation,
Office Diagnosis, etc.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Hi Robert,

I have tried the repair- that doesn't work.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program- that doesnt work either.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

lee wrote:
I am using the MS Office Home and Student 2007. I am runing windows Vista on
my computer.

The Office Suite has been set up with English(United States) as the default
language. It was manufactured in Puerto Rico.

was probably a stupid question, since (I reckon) English is part of any
Office edition.

OK, then I don't have much to add. Use setup to repair the installation,
Office Diagnosis, etc.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Hi Robert

I have found the solution. It was in the disabled add ins section and I had
it enabled so it has started working again. I hope it doesnot stop working
again.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

lee wrote:
I am using the MS Office Home and Student 2007. I am runing windows Vista on
my computer.

The Office Suite has been set up with English(United States) as the default
language. It was manufactured in Puerto Rico.

was probably a stupid question, since (I reckon) English is part of any
Office edition.

OK, then I don't have much to add. Use setup to repair the installation,
Office Diagnosis, etc.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

lee wrote:
I have found the solution. It was in the disabled add ins section and I had
it enabled so it has started working again. I hope it doesnot stop working
again.

could you elaborate a bit (for the benefit of anyone else who might run
into a similar problem): what Add-Ins were disabled?

Confused! :-)
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Robert,

One of the things that happens with Office 2007 is that the proofing tools can end up in the 'disabled items' list after a document
crash, but can usually be restarted.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message ...
could you elaborate a bit (for the benefit of anyone else who might run
into a similar problem): what Add-Ins were disabled?

Confused! :-)
Robert
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)