Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nav Nav is offline

Default Paste Special Link

Hello

I have another question if anyone is able to help.
I have a word doc - but it has 20+ links in the links Links Information
(Edit - Links), but only has 3 bitmaps as the others have been deleted. Is
there any way to have Word remove the links that are no longer linked to any
bitmaps? Or an easy way to find out which ones are currently valid. I wish
to remove these as it is slowing the file down.

Thank you again,
Nav

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TmF2?=,

I have another question if anyone is able to help.
I have a word doc - but it has 20+ links in the links Links Information
(Edit - Links), but only has 3 bitmaps as the others have been deleted. Is
there any way to have Word remove the links that are no longer linked to any
bitmaps? Or an easy way to find out which ones are currently valid. I wish
to remove these as it is slowing the file down.

Which version of Word?

"The others have been deleted": Does this mean they've been deleted from the
disk, but the pictures are still in the document?

Are these pictures in-line with the text, or do they have Wrap formatting
applied?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nav Nav is offline

Hello

The version is Excel 2003 - SP2. The actual bitmap images have been deleted
from the document but the links are still listed in the edit links section
and they usually have the format in front of text.

Thank you,
Nav

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TmF2?=,

I have another question if anyone is able to help.
I have a word doc - but it has 20+ links in the links Links Information
(Edit - Links), but only has 3 bitmaps as the others have been deleted. Is
there any way to have Word remove the links that are no longer linked to any
bitmaps? Or an easy way to find out which ones are currently valid. I wish
to remove these as it is slowing the file down.

Which version of Word?

"The others have been deleted": Does this mean they've been deleted from the
disk, but the pictures are still in the document?

Are these pictures in-line with the text, or do they have Wrap formatting
applied?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Nav,

The version is Excel 2003 - SP2. The actual bitmap images have been deleted
from the document but the links are still listed in the edit links section
and they usually have the format in front of text.

Ummm. This is a WORD, not excel, newsgroup. I think you'd be better off posting
to an Excel group if you really are using Excel? The two applications do *not*
handle these things in a similar manner.

If that was a concentration lapse g - happens to me all the time, then...

I'm at a loss to explain why the links would still be listed in the dialog box
after the objects have been deleted. Possibly, the document's internal
structures have been damaged, so Word hasn't been able to update this
information correctly.

If I were in your place and had this problem, I'd probably use File/Save As to
save the document to the Word XML file format, close it, open that XML file (it
should look just like the original *.doc file, but hopefully the list has been
corrected), then save it back to the (default) binary document file format.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nav Nav is offline

HI Cindy.

Aplogies but it should read Word 2003 SP2.

I did try saving it as a XML and then saving it back but the links are all
still listed although the old bitmaps have been deleted, and the bitmaps that
had the correct links have also lost the links now.

I am not sure if I was totally clear - We paste bitmaps special with link.
However it appears that the old bitmaps have been deleted and someone has
repasted the bitmap again, but the link is now listed twice (or more times),
and this is the case with several of the bitmaps, hence there are 30+ links
listed but only 5 bitmaps in the document.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Nav

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Nav,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TmF2?=,

I did try saving it as a XML and then saving it back but the links are all
still listed although the old bitmaps have been deleted, and the bitmaps that
had the correct links have also lost the links now.

I am not sure if I was totally clear - We paste bitmaps special with link.
However it appears that the old bitmaps have been deleted and someone has
repasted the bitmap again, but the link is now listed twice (or more times),
and this is the case with several of the bitmaps, hence there are 30+ links
listed but only 5 bitmaps in the document.

All I can suggest would be to try other file formats, such as HTML, RTF, Word
6.0 to see if you can find one that sorts this stuff out.

Ah... You are absolutely certain that these bitmaps are piled up somewhere off
the page? Or bitmap on top of bitmap (that happens with copy/paste within the
document)?

Have you tried using a macro on the document to count how many pictures (with
text wrap formatting) it actually has? Comparing that number with the number of
links might be informative...

Sub countPics()
msgBox ActiveDocument.Shapes.Count
End Sub

Also, you might want to take a look at the document in the READING view. If
those pictures are still in the document they should show up there.