Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
susann susann is offline

Default Mail Merge 2007 Business or Home Address?

I am doing a Mail Merge using Word 207 and information in an Excel
spreadsheet to create envelopes to send out to clients.

Some of these clients have only business addresses, some have only home
addresses, some have both. We want to use the business address first and
only use the home address if there isn't a business address. So I want to
set up an envelope template that has some sort of conditional (?) fields that
says:

- if there is a business address, don't insert the home address
- if there is no business address, use the home addresss

I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help? or point me in the right
direction?

Many thanks
Susan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are on the right lines with the conditional field. Let's say you have
two addresses each comprising three fields eg
BusAddr1, BusAddr2, BusZip, HomeAddr1, HomeAddr2, HomeZip
You can then conditionally insert as follows. Press the enter key only where
you see ¶

{IF {Mergefield BusAddr1} "" "{Mergefield BusAddr1}¶
{Mergefield BusAddr2}¶
{Mergefield BusZip}" "{Mergefield HomeAdd1}¶
{Mergefield HomeAddr2}¶
{Mergefield HomeZip}"}

Use CTRL+F9 for each pair of brackets {} and change the field names to match
your data.

susann wrote:
I am doing a Mail Merge using Word 207 and information in an Excel
spreadsheet to create envelopes to send out to clients.

Some of these clients have only business addresses, some have only
home addresses, some have both. We want to use the business address
first and only use the home address if there isn't a business
address. So I want to set up an envelope template that has some sort
of conditional (?) fields that says:

- if there is a business address, don't insert the home address
- if there is no business address, use the home addresss

I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help? or point me in
the right direction?

Many thanks
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
susann susann is offline

Thanks Graham for your help, that seems to have worked nicely

Couple of other things that I need help with:

1 - how to do I get rid of blank lines? For example, we export from Outlook
so have the fields BusinessStreet, BusinessStreet2, BusinessStreet3. Some
contacts don't have anything in 2 and 3 so we end up with blanks. Is there
an easy way to do this?

2 - Also we don't want the field BusinessCountryRegion to appear if it
contains the words "New Zealand" (i.e. where we are based). How would I do
that?

Thank you
Susan

susann wrote:
I am doing a Mail Merge using Word 207 and information in an Excel
spreadsheet to create envelopes to send out to clients.

Some of these clients have only business addresses, some have only
home addresses, some have both. We want to use the business address
first and only use the home address if there isn't a business
address. So I want to set up an envelope template that has some sort
of conditional (?) fields that says:

- if there is a business address, don't insert the home address
- if there is no business address, use the home addresss

I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help? or point me in
the right direction?

Many thanks
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The principle remains the same eg
{Mergefield BusinessStreet}{IF {Mergefield BusinessStreet2} "" "¶
{Mergefield BusinessStreet2}{IF {Mergefield BusinessStreet3} "" "¶
{Mergefield BusinessStreet4}etc
and
IF {Mergefield BusinessCountryRegion} "New Z*" "{Mergefield
BusinessCountryRegion}"

Note that if merging from Outlook, you can use the Mailing_Address field
which uses whichever address you have flagged and should remove the local
country. See http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

If you start the merge from Word it is the Postal_Address field.