Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k-hap k-hap is offline

Default Can i save off several embedded files (in a Word doc) simultaneous

I have a Word file (.doc) that was emailed to me that has several files
embedded in it. It has .xls, .doc and .pdf files embedded. Is there a way
that i can save all of these embedded files to a folder on C: drive (or
network drive) simultaneously? rather than having to go to each file and save
it off.

I do not need to change the names of the files when saving them off.

WinXP - SP2
MS Word 2003 - SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?ay1oYXA=?=,

I have a Word file (.doc) that was emailed to me that has several files
embedded in it. It has .xls, .doc and .pdf files embedded. Is there a way
that i can save all of these embedded files to a folder on C: drive (or
network drive) simultaneously? rather than having to go to each file and save
it off.

Not really, no. Theoretically, it would be possible by programming a macro. But
in practice it would be difficult to give you any code for this since

1) it would depend on knowing the automation interface for the PDF editor that
starts when you open a PDF object. Most PDF editors don't expose such an
interface.

2) Word can get all tangled up when multiple embedded objects are being opened
and manipulated. If you're not used to programming and debugging code the
experience of trying to get it all to work would be very frustrating and, in the
end, it might not work, anyway.

If you really want to pursue this, I recommend asking in the word.vba.general
newsgroup where you'll find more macro programmers than in this group targeted
at end-users.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k-hap[_2_] k-hap[_2_] is offline

Default Can i save off several embedded files (in a Word doc) simultan

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?ay1oYXA=?=,

[...]

Thanks, for the prompt reply Cindy.... I figured as much....
Cheers