Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
skeddy skeddy is offline

Default Word doesn't send emails to Outlook

I have Word 2002 SP3 and Outlook 2002 SP3. In Outlook I use Word to
compose emails. In the past I have done a mail merge between them
without any problem. All of a sudden it doesn't seem to work right
anymore.

My data source is an Excel file. It has a column for the name of the
recipients and a column for their email address. I open Word and type
the text of the letter. Then on the mail merge toolbar I click on
"Open Data Source" and browse to the Excel file. At the beginning of
the letter I type "Dear". Then I click "Insert Merge Fields" and
select the column of the Excel file that has the names of the
recipients. Everything looks good up to this point.

Then on the merge toolbar I click on "Merge to email". Under Message
options there is a field called "To". For the dropdown arrow I select
the Excel column that contains the email address of the recipients. I
also enter a subject. If I leave the mail format as HTML, I have
problems. If I change it to Plain, it works fine like it always has.
Under Send records, I leave the radio button selected to "All".

When I click "OK", the status bar tells me "Word is merging record ..."
and it goes through all the records. The problem is that the emails
seem to just disappear into thin air. In the past, they always went to
my Outbox in Outlook. And then Outlook would send them one by one.
Now, however, they do not show up anywhere in Outlook.

I can't see how to start the merge from Outlook. If I open a new
email, the mail merge toolbar is there, but everything is grayed out.
Also, under the Tools menu/Letters and Mailings, all the options are
grayed out. Besides, it used to work fine the way I described it
above.

What do I need to do to restore the ability of Word to send emails to
Outlook?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suggest you start by using Help|Detect and Repair in Outlook.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"skeddy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
skeddy skeddy is offline

On Sep 4, 11:42 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
I suggest you start by using Help|Detect and Repair in Outlook.

--
Peter Jamiesonhttp://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"skeddy" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Outlook?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very, very much! That was very simple and it solved it. I
appreciate your help very much!