Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mrcharman mrcharman is offline

Default Useless excess symbols for word

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
mrcharman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'm always bemused that people complain when they see ¶ symbols all over their
documents, but they fail to notice the toolbar button that also has a ¶ symbol
on it. That's the button that toggles the symbols on and off. It also has a
keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+8.

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm for an
explanation of why you might want to see those symbols.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:22:32 +0000, mrcharman
wrote:

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Jay

I am amazed that users can work without displaying at least some of the
non-printing characters. Now for Word 2009, non-printing characters should
be always on when using any editing view with ability to toggle them off
only in a Preview (non-editing) mode! (Now where's the address of the wish
list g.)

Terry

wrote:

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To go even further, I'm amazed that users can work without text boundaries.
I feel completely at sea when I can't see the limits of the text area, have
some visual representation of text boxes (even when not selected), etc.

wrote:

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I guess I'm the Philistine in this group -- I do prefer to work in Print Layout
view with the nonprinting characters turned off most of the time, at least while
I'm actively writing and concentrating on the words. But nonprints are so easy
to turn on and off, and I turn them on whenever my focus is on appearance.

wrote:

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Me too!

Terry

wrote:

Ok now this is a very noobish question but if you dont know how to
change it back (like me)
it would cause you allot of grief.

Ok on word its in some kind of format where every time I press space
back it makes a - symbol.

So-every-sentence-looks-like-this.

Oh and top of that every line has a big black back to front P

So every time I press return for a new line it does this

(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)
(back to front p put here)

very annoying

Im using word 2000

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Jay, Terry, and all:

I'm bemused and amazed and more -- befounded! (Befuddled and dumbfounded.)

But after a certain point in the evolution of a document -- say after the
figures are in place and cross-referenced, after the index entries have been
made, etc. -- I almost always work with everything showing that I can
possibly find. Too many cross-references and indexes that contain entire
figures, etc.

The only exception is the field shading, which I almost always have set to
Show When Selected.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000