Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

Default Pull Text from first page

Hi Everyone,

Using Word 2003. We have policies and the Title of the policy is at the top
of the page. We can't use the Header for the policy, it has to be the first
line of text on the document. Is there a way to have this title
automatically insert on additional pages?

Title: Aerosol Therapy

If there is a second page to this document, I would like this title to
insert in the header space of all pages after the first one. After it's
inserted I want the word "Continued" after the title so at the top of the
2nd, 3rd etc pages it looks like this without having to type it.

Aerosol Therapy Continued.

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Apply a style to the title that you don't use for anything else. The style
can be defined or modified to have any formatting you want.

To have a header on page 2 and following that doesn't appear on page 1, go
to File Page Setup Layout, check the box for "Different first page" and
click OK. Then temporarily insert a page break (Ctrl+Enter) so you can see
page 2 and open its header. Insert the StyleRef field there, followed by
plain text "Continued". Close the header and delete the page break. Save
this document as a template, and use it in the File New Templates on My
Computer dialog to create new documents of this type.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Linda RQ wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Using Word 2003. We have policies and the Title of the policy is at
the top of the page. We can't use the Header for the policy, it has
to be the first line of text on the document. Is there a way to have
this title automatically insert on additional pages?

Title: Aerosol Therapy

If there is a second page to this document, I would like this title to
insert in the header space of all pages after the first one. After
it's inserted I want the word "Continued" after the title so at the
top of the 2nd, 3rd etc pages it looks like this without having to
type it.
Aerosol Therapy Continued.

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

Thanks Jay,

I'll give this a try tomorrow. Unfortunately we can't make this a template.
We are editing documents that are already made and adding different headings
and just adding this feature. I'll give this a try. I've worked with
styles a little bit to make a TOC. There are many different options in the
styles properties. What are the tricks/process for making a style that will
be available on all word documents or will we need to add this style to each
document since we are editing and not creating new.

Thanks,
Linda

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Apply a style to the title that you don't use for anything else. The style
can be defined or modified to have any formatting you want.

To have a header on page 2 and following that doesn't appear on page 1, go
to File Page Setup Layout, check the box for "Different first page"
and click OK. Then temporarily insert a page break (Ctrl+Enter) so you can
see page 2 and open its header. Insert the StyleRef field there, followed
by plain text "Continued". Close the header and delete the page break.
Save this document as a template, and use it in the File New Templates
on My Computer dialog to create new documents of this type.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Linda RQ wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Using Word 2003. We have policies and the Title of the policy is at
the top of the page. We can't use the Header for the policy, it has
to be the first line of text on the document. Is there a way to have
this title automatically insert on additional pages?

Title: Aerosol Therapy

If there is a second page to this document, I would like this title to
insert in the header space of all pages after the first one. After
it's inserted I want the word "Continued" after the title so at the
top of the 2nd, 3rd etc pages it looks like this without having to
type it.
Aerosol Therapy Continued.

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Start with a new blank document. Click Format Styles and Formatting.
In the task pane, click the New Style button. Enter the name and
formatting (font, size, bold, alignment, etc.) you want for the title,
and check the "Add to template" box. The latter will cause the style
to be saved in your Normal.dot template. You can discard the blank
document.

To copy the style from Normal.dot to an existing document, open that
document (Normal.dot will be opened automatically, as it always is).
Click Tools Templates and Add-ins, and click the Organizer button in
the dialog. The Organizer should show you the current document on one
side and Normal.dot on the other side, with several tabs, the first
one being Styles. Select your style in the Normal.dot list and click
the Copy button to copy it into the document.

Now you can apply the style in the usual way to the existing title
text, and insert the StyleRef field in the header.

Linda RQ wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Using Word 2003. We have policies and the Title of the policy is at
the top of the page. We can't use the Header for the policy, it has
to be the first line of text on the document. Is there a way to have
this title automatically insert on additional pages?

Title: Aerosol Therapy

If there is a second page to this document, I would like this title to
insert in the header space of all pages after the first one. After
it's inserted I want the word "Continued" after the title so at the
top of the 2nd, 3rd etc pages it looks like this without having to
type it.
Aerosol Therapy Continued.

Thanks,
Linda

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

Hi Jay,

Well tomorrow came about a month later...sorry. I'll start a new thread if
I need to. I worked with both of your suggestions. I did get them to work
but I have 2 styles named MetroPolicyStyle. One has the word Char after it
and when I select the first one, and use statref, it doesn't insert but the
second MetroPolicyStyle Char works. Any ideas what I did wrong? Should I
get rid of the first style or do they somehow need to work together?

wrote:

Thanks Jay,

I'll give this a try tomorrow. Unfortunately we can't make this a
template.
We are editing documents that are already made and adding different
headings
and just adding this feature. I'll give this a try. I've worked with
styles a little bit to make a TOC. There are many different options in
the
styles properties. What are the tricks/process for making a style that
will
be available on all word documents or will we need to add this style to
each
document since we are editing and not creating new.

Thanks,
Linda

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.

Linda RQ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

This is an area where many of us feel Microsoft made a big mistake.

There are three (or maybe two and a half) kinds of styles in Word. One
is a "paragraph" style, shown in the style list with a ¶ symbol, and
it's supposed to apply both font formatting and paragraph (indents,
line spacing, etc.) formatting to an entire paragraph. Another kind is
a "character" style, shown with an "a" in the list, that applies only
font formatting; it can be applied to as little as one character.

The third kind is a "linked" style. You get it by selecting text
that's less than an entire paragraph (that is, text but not the
paragraph mark at the end) and then applying a paragraph style. (This
doesn't happen if the cursor is just a vertical bar, with no text
selected.) Word applies only the font formatting that belongs to the
style, and creates a linked style whose name is the paragraph style's
name plus "Char". In the style list, it has both the ¶ symbol and the
"a". These things are the spawn of the devil -- nearly impossible to
control, hard to use, and the cause of many problems.

For your current document, I recommend that you select the entire
title paragraph -- including the paragraph mark at the end of it --
and apply the style named MetroPolicyStyle _without_ the Char. The
StyleRef field should refer to MetroPolicyStyle, also without the
Char.

wrote:

Thanks Jay,

I'll give this a try tomorrow. Unfortunately we can't make this a
template.
We are editing documents that are already made and adding different
headings
and just adding this feature. I'll give this a try. I've worked with
styles a little bit to make a TOC. There are many different options in
the
styles properties. What are the tricks/process for making a style that
will
be available on all word documents or will we need to add this style to
each
document since we are editing and not creating new.

Thanks,
Linda

. ..

Linda RQ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

Thanks again! I have been sort of avoiding trying to understand including
the ¶ or not including when selecting text but I am wrestling with page
breaks now too so I appreciate your very understandable explanation. Do you
have a resource that you would recommend to further my knowledge about this
confusing subject?

Linda RQ wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Here are a couple of references:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902064

Linda RQ wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Using Word 2003. We have policies and the Title of the policy
is at the top of the page. We can't use the Header for the
policy, it has to be the first line of text on the document. Is
there a way to have this title automatically insert on
additional pages? Title: Aerosol Therapy

If there is a second page to this document, I would like this
title to
insert in the header space of all pages after the first one. After
it's inserted I want the word "Continued" after the title
so at the top of the 2nd, 3rd etc pages it looks like this
without having to type it.
Aerosol Therapy Continued.

Thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Linda RQ Linda RQ is offline

I thought I noticed an increase in styles after wer upgraded to 2003, I kept
blaming my coworkers...g: