noodles

Default Automatically apply bold formatting as I type

I would like Word to automatically apply bold formatting to the word "shall"
whenever I type it. Can I use autocorrect to do that? I see two radio
buttons, one called "Plain text" and another called "Formatted Text", but I
couldn't get them to do anything.
Joe McGuire

To do this open a blank document and type the word "shall" (without quotes)
and then highlight it and click bold. With that word highlighted click
Tools, AutoCorrect Options. You should see the word in the right side of
the two-part window. Insert a dot for Formatted Text and type your word
"shall" in the right side for "Replace." Close Autocorrect and test it by
typing a sentence with the word in it. Henceforth every instance of that
word should show up in bold in every single Word document. (Until you
delete the AutoCorrect entry.)

If this is overkill and you don't really want this for each and every
instance of the word in each and every Word document you have a few
alternatives. If you only want to do this occasionally you could accomplish
the same thing using Find and Replace in an individual document. If you
want to do this pretty often, but not all the time, you could also make a
macro to search for the word in a particular document and make sure it is in
bold.

"noodles" wrote in message
I would like Word to automatically apply bold formatting to the word
"shall"
whenever I type it. Can I use autocorrect to do that? I see two radio
buttons, one called "Plain text" and another called "Formatted Text", but
couldn't get them to do anything.

Anne Troy

Record a macro that:
Ctrl+F and type shall (with a space before and a space after it).
In the replace with type the same thing, then hit MORE, then hit
Format--Font, and choose bold.
Replace all.
Stop recording.
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"noodles" wrote in message
I would like Word to automatically apply bold formatting to the word
"shall"
whenever I type it. Can I use autocorrect to do that? I see two radio
buttons, one called "Plain text" and another called "Formatted Text", but
couldn't get them to do anything.

Anne Troy

I tested this, but couldn't get it to work. Since you say it did, it's
probably because I already had tried it using autotext. LOL.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"noodles" wrote in message
I would like Word to automatically apply bold formatting to the word
"shall"
whenever I type it. Can I use autocorrect to do that? I see two radio
buttons, one called "Plain text" and another called "Formatted Text", but
couldn't get them to do anything.

Joe McGuire

Hmm. Not sure why it won't work for you. You can try something totally
goofy, such as replacing "shall" with, say, xxx. If that works, then delete
it and follow my suggestion to "Noodles." You have to put a dot in the spot
for Formatted Text so that the bold formatting will be applied. Otherwise
it will replace "shall" with "shall" but it will look like nothing happened.
I use this method for adding foreign words that have accents, umlauts and
the like which cannot be directly typed into an AutoCorrect box.