Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Default Create Break and Change to 2 Cols

Hi,

It seems to me that you are inserting a section break that starts a new page
at the place where you want the 2-column layout to start. You don't need to
manually insert any section break at that point unless you want the 2-column
layout to start at the top of a new page. Word inserts the section breaks
that you need automatically when you create the columns.

In my opinion the simplest way to create 2 columns in your case is to select
the text that you want to be in two columns and follow the instructions for
your version of Word.

For Word 2007, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...265251033.aspx
For Word 2003 (and earlier), see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...860611033.aspx

Note that the Column button mentioned in the second link may by on the
Format toolbar rather than the Standard toolbar.

After you create the 2 columns, you can also insert a column break to force
the second column to begin at a specific place.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"K" wrote:

For all the years I have worked in Word, I have yet to understand how to
break in the middle of a page to change to 2 columns. Obviously, if this was
something I did often it would not be such a problem, but of course that is
not the case. The last time I wished to do this, surely a year or so ago,
after some time of trial and error I finally stumbled upon the correct
combination for accomplishing this task. Not so lucky today. Today I've been
stumbling around now for a while and still haven't discovered the correct
combination. Every attempt so far breaks where the cursor is and skips to the
beginning of the next page. What I want to do is break at the cursor (about
1/3 down on the page in this case) and start the 2 columns on the next line
below the break. Would anyone know of instructions somewhere for this task?
All ideas, suggestions, and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.