Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jones0430 jones0430 is offline

Default Word 2007 PDF Conversion Settings

I am using Word 2007 to create a PDF from a Word document. The resulting PDF
has only the first level of the TOC as bookmarks in the PDF.

The question is: How do you set PDF conversion settings in Word 2007 to
select the Heading levels that I want to use. Since we are constrained to use
the Company styles I need to be able to select those paragraph tags. Where
and how do I do that?

In the previous version of Word that was allowed under Adobe PDF-Change
Conversion Settings, and selecting the Add Bookmarks to Adobe PDF tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jones0430 jones0430 is offline

I found that, unlike Word 2003, you set the tags you want to include in your
PDF bookmarks by setting the Level attribute of the Paragraph Style in the
Paragraph Formatting.

It does not correctly subordinate Level 2 paragraphs to Level 1 or Level 3
to Level 2.

In summary:

1. The Help files in Word 2007 are worse than useless, and are significantly
worse than those in found in the previous version of Word. Primarily because
they only talk about features and tend to leave out where to find these
features and how to accomplish the operation. These Help files fail under the
simplest test of best practices.

2. The function of adding bookmarks to a PDF is not reliable in that the
subordination of levels does not occur in a reliable fashion. This was not
true of Word 2003 where bookmarks were properly subordinated.

All in all, this is a marked disappointment for a consumer, especially since
I'm working professionally outputting documentation.

I don't expect perfection from Microsoft. I do demand adequacy, and this
falls short ot that.

"jones0430" wrote:

I am using Word 2007 to create a PDF from a Word document. The resulting PDF
has only the first level of the TOC as bookmarks in the PDF.

The question is: How do you set PDF conversion settings in Word 2007 to
select the Heading levels that I want to use. Since we are constrained to use
the Company styles I need to be able to select those paragraph tags. Where
and how do I do that?

In the previous version of Word that was allowed under Adobe PDF-Change
Conversion Settings, and selecting the Add Bookmarks to Adobe PDF tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are a few issues here
1. We are not Microsoft - this is a user peer group forum! Microsoft merely
hosts the forum and it is syndicated to a number of other forums. Microosft
does not monitor nor contribute.
2. Word 2003 had no function to create PDF files.
3. Word 2007 has no out of the box function to create PDF files.
4. Your message talks about Adobe PDF. If you are using Acrobat to create
your PDFs your question is better addressed to Adobe. Like many of the value
added functions of Office, the downloadable PDF tool for Office 2007 is
fairly rudimentary and does not provide the functionality of a product like
Acrobat which costs a couple of hundred dollars.