StargateFan

Default Putting templates in a pulldown?

I remember some time back hearing about some coding, I think it was,
that will show the templates in a pulldown menu that we can access
instead of going the FILE NEW... ? If I could remember what it was
called, I could look for the messages in the archives.

Thanks.

TF

Well, you could install the Work menu and add your templates, but the
templates would open instead of a document based on the template. The
correct solution is put the Command Tool for opening the New... dialog.
Assuming you have Word 2003, this is how to do it.

Right-click on a toolbar and select Customise.
Click on the Commands tab and under Categories, select All Command.
Look down the commands list for FileNewDialog and drag and drop it onto your
Standard Toolbar.
It will display as Other...
Right-click on Other... and select one of the Button Image Options to add a
button Image
Right-click again and select Default Style.

You now have a command that will open the New dialog at a single click.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"StargateFan" wrote in message
:I remember some time back hearing about some coding, I think it was,
: that will show the templates in a pulldown menu that we can access
: instead of going the FILE NEW... ? If I could remember what it was
: called, I could look for the messages in the archives.
:
: Thanks.
:

StargateFan

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:00:06 -0000, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

Well, you could install the Work menu and add your templates, but the
templates would open instead of a document based on the template. The
correct solution is put the Command Tool for opening the New... dialog.
Assuming you have Word 2003, this is how to do it.

Right-click on a toolbar and select Customise.
Click on the Commands tab and under Categories, select All Command.
Look down the commands list for FileNewDialog and drag and drop it onto your
Standard Toolbar.
It will display as Other...
Right-click on Other... and select one of the Button Image Options to add a
button Image
Right-click again and select Default Style.

You now have a command that will open the New dialog at a single click.

Thanks for the info!!

I've already done that, as you can imagine.. Actually, the instant I
came into Word years ago, though we didn't use Word as much then as we
have to do now, I immediately made my toolbar more WP-like even to the
icons ("sacrilege", you might all shout! g I share icon button
images between _all_ my apps D). But that solution doesn't list the
templates in their folders, it just opens up the templates dialogue
box.

A couple of years ago or so, someone in one of the Word ngs shared the
code for getting them all to display naturally like this from a
pulldown menu without inserting them manually. Just wish I had
somehow kept the info. At the time I wasn't looking for that, I was
looking for a way to display the icons better in that box (which there
wasn't a way to do, at least at the time), but the MVP told me about
this other nifty trick instead. Now that I _do_ need this, though, I
can't find it. )

Ah well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks much; appreciate the help.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
:I remember some time back hearing about some coding, I think it was,
: that will show the templates in a pulldown menu that we can access
: instead of going the FILE NEW... ? If I could remember what it was
: called, I could look for the messages in the archives.
:
: Thanks.
:

TF

Thinking about this: it is easy peasy! Lets say that one of your templates
is called AccountsFAX and you want a new menu called Templates

Right-click on any Toolbar and select Customise
Under Commands, Categories select New Menu and then drag the New Menu
command to the Menu Bar
Right-click on the New Menu and select Rename and change the name to ...
(Templates?)
Close all dialogs
Use Tools, Macros, Record Macro and call it AccountsFAX (or whatever) and
close to start the Recorder
Click on the New button to open the New Dialog
Select the tab and template and click Open (a document should now open based
on the template)
STOP the Macro Recorder
Right-click on any Toolbar and select Customise
Under Commands, Categories, click on Macros
Find the newly recorded macro and drag and drop it onto the Word menu.

Close all and save normal.dot on exit. Open Word and you will have the
AccountsFAX in the Word menu. Repeat the operation for other templates. If
you want to make this a global change, then create a new Template, and save
all the macros to the new Template rather than normal.dot. Place the
template in the Workgroup Startup folder on the server.

I expect that if you post this question into one of the Word.VBA newsgroups
some real VBA wiz will tell you how to automate this!

Terry

[...]
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "StargateFan" wrote in message
: .. .
: :I remember some time back hearing about some coding, I think it was,
: : that will show the templates in a pulldown menu that we can access
: : instead of going the FILE NEW... ? If I could remember what it was
: : called, I could look for the messages in the archives.
: :
: : Thanks.
: :
:
:

StargateFan

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:41:48 -0000, "TF"
[...]

Thanks. I just realized that, because the above means many macros for
each template and I know that the pulldown given was one set of
instructions. Of course, it must have been VB given - I only started
in VB about a year ago and have come only a little way, to a
programmer's view I'm sure, in that time.

Thanks, I'll do that. And thanks for making me realize it would be a
VB solution.

Terry