Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dmbtiger dmbtiger is offline

Default Microsoft word denial of service

I received the message from Word 2003 that a file was not available
for use. The same message appeared for all old and new files. The
Microsoft website said it was from an antivirus program and several
help systems described a situation where Norton Antivirus produced
this effect. I used to run norton but stopped when my subscription
ran out. I was running the free f\version of AVG when the problem
occurred. Turning off AVG did not help. I don't know what can be
causing the message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may still have the Office plug-in DLL from Norton AV even though you
have uninstalled it and 'turning off' AVG does not necessarily release dlls
files that are in use.

It may be necessary to unregister the calling DLL by running the following
command line from Windows Start Run
Search your harddrive for officeav.dll and if found substitute the path
below
eg

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Once you have unregistered the norton file you can delete it.

Grisoft's AVG antivirus software, requires similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"