Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jakobshavn Isbrae Jakobshavn Isbrae is offline

Default Copy a cell from excel to word

How can I copy a single cell to Word and preserve its format?

I put text in A1 and format this cell with background color and borders.
Then I select both A1 and A2, do the copy in Excel, go to Word and do the
paste in Word. I see

- the text is the same as Excel and can be changed later on
- the format is the same as Excel

If I select only A1 in Excel and do this copy & paste in Word, I see

- the text is the same
- the cell format is missing

I can do this copy & paste as Picture and it looks ok, but it can not be
changed later on.

How can I copy a single cell to Word and preserve both its format and the
ability to edit it in Word?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
jake
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Jake

The short answer is that you can't have everything. An Excel cell isn't the
same thing as a Word cell and so it won't behave the same way in Word.

However, you have lots of options. When you come to paste, do Edit Paste
Special. The options listed depend on what you have copied. Try out all the
options and choose the one that best suits your needs.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jakobshavn Isbrae" wrote in
message ...
How can I copy a single cell to Word and preserve its format?

I put text in A1 and format this cell with background color and borders.
Then I select both A1 and A2, do the copy in Excel, go to Word and do the
paste in Word. I see

- the text is the same as Excel and can be changed later on
- the format is the same as Excel

If I select only A1 in Excel and do this copy & paste in Word, I see

- the text is the same
- the cell format is missing

I can do this copy & paste as Picture and it looks ok, but it can not be
changed later on.

How can I copy a single cell to Word and preserve both its format and the
ability to edit it in Word?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
jake

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jakobshavn Isbrae Jakobshavn Isbrae is offline

Thanks Shauna.
It appears that I must always select two Excel cell on the copy to create an
equivalent table in Word on the paste
--
jake