Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

Default Formatting Chapter Headings with Overline/Underline

I'm working on a book and I want the Chapter headings to be chapter number
written out with a heavy line above and below. I also want a bulleted dot to
the right of the Chapter number if on an even page and to the left if on an
odd page. Is there any way to do this? I'm working with Office 2007 Word
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It can certainly be done, but it will require some hand work to accommodate
single and double digits. The lines can be paragraph borders; you'll need to
set paragraph indents to give you the desired length (and these will be
different for single and double digits). You can anchor a dot to the First
Page Header (assuming each chapter begins a new section, with "Different
first page" enabled); the dot can be an AutoShape with some wrapping other
than square; experiment with "Outside" placement to see if you can get the
effect you want. Otherwise you'll have to place those by hand as well.

http://word.mvps.org

"Deej Hernandez" wrote in message
I'm working on a book and I want the Chapter headings to be chapter number
written out with a heavy line above and below. I also want a bulleted dot
the right of the Chapter number if on an even page and to the left if on
an
odd page. Is there any way to do this? I'm working with Office 2007 Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Deej Hernandez wrote:
I'm working on a book and I want the Chapter headings to be chapter number
written out with a heavy line above and below.

You can put border settings in the heading style.

I also want a bulleted dot to
the right of the Chapter number if on an even page and to the left if on an
odd page. Is there any way to do this? I'm working with Office 2007 Word

Are you talking left and right headers or footers here? If so you can use
the StyleRef field with a bullet symbol placed before or after it as
appropriate.

Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This would certainly be much easier to do in the header; I got the
impression he wanted it in the document text itself.

http://word.mvps.org