Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beverly907 Beverly907 is offline

Default How can I maintain a database used as a source for mail functions

Using a previous version of Word, I established a data base containing
approximately 500 entries, which I use to create mailing labels. I
maintained it (added new entries, changed entries and deleted entries) using
the database toolbar. How can I accomplish this same task using Word 2007.
Because of its size, I do not want to retype the entire file.

I previously posted this question and was informed that someone had replied.
I could not, however, read the reply. Please respond to
if you are able to help.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing is a mail merge data source. The tools for mail
merges are on the Mailings tab in Word 2007, and it appears that the secret
is to click Select Recipients and choose Use Existing List. After you've
done that, presumably the Edit Recipient List button will be enabled.

Also, Start Mail Merge gives you the menu on which you can choose the type
of mail merge main document. If you can't figure out any other way to
proceed, you can choose Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard, which I believe
also gives you the option of selecting an existing list.

"Beverly907" wrote in message
Using a previous version of Word, I established a data base containing
approximately 500 entries, which I use to create mailing labels. I
maintained it (added new entries, changed entries and deleted entries)
using
the database toolbar. How can I accomplish this same task using Word
2007.
Because of its size, I do not want to retype the entire file.

I previously posted this question and was informed that someone had
replied.
I could not, however, read the reply. Please respond to
if you are able to help.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

I am able to use my file to as a mail merge source. My question relates to the maintenance of the file - that is, how can I easily add, change, and delete records prior to using the file as the mail merge source.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As stated, once you have linked the list to the mail merge main document,
you can use the Edit Recipient List button. If the data source was created
as a Word table (in a Word doc), you can edit it directly (which is why I
always create data sources as Word tables or Excel spreadsheets); if you
create the data source using Word's tools, recent versions use an
Access-type format that can't be opened directly for editing, as I
understand it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can still edit the list in Word. When you have attached the data source,
the Edit Recipient List button becomes active. This will list the records in
the top window and the data source in the bottom window. Select the latter
in order to activate the edit button.