Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Home User Grandpa Smith

Default How To Print Directory Contents using Windows 2000 pro & MSWORD 20

How to print out the contents of a large directory
I have Windows 2000 professional and Office 2000 (MSWORD)
Task Drive E:\ = Three Folders \ Each Folder has 10,000 + items \
I need a printed list of the contents of each
folder.
The folders contant (Tiff's,Bitmaps,JPegs etc)
I have been taking screen shots and cut and pasting but need something
that is editable text so when the folder contents change I don't have to
redo three hundred pages of printing. Thank's in advance to however
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/PrintDocList.htm for
two methods. Or see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InsertFileNames.htm for a
macro solution that inserts a list of files in a selected
directory into a Word document. Or try the Printfolders utility
linked from Word MVP Graham Mayor's website
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm .

Home User Grandpa Smith wrote:

How to print out the contents of a large directory
I have Windows 2000 professional and Office 2000 (MSWORD)
Task Drive E:\ = Three Folders \ Each Folder has 10,000 + items \
I need a printed list of the contents of each
folder.
The folders contant (Tiff's,Bitmaps,JPegs etc)
I have been taking screen shots and cut and pasting but need something
that is editable text so when the folder contents change I don't have to
redo three hundred pages of printing. Thank's in advance to however
can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrea Jones

If you can cope with DOS then you can create a text file containing the
contents of your directory, you can later edit this in notepad or Word:

Click on Start Run

Type

cmd

in the box that appears and click Run

Change to the directory using the cd command, e.g. type E:\ followed by
Enter to change to E: and then type

cd docs

to change to a directory called docs

Type

dir

to see what's in the current directory

When you have found the directory you want to list type

dir directory.txt

this will create a text file in the current directory called directory.txt
containing a listing of the files and folders.

Type

cd .. Enter

to go up one level of directory.

Type

Exit

to finish your DOS session and return to Windows. You can now open the
directory.txt file in Wordpad or Word and manipulate it.

Hope you can follow this! Have fun!

Andrea Jones
www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
www.allaboutclait.com