Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RDP048 RDP048 is offline

Default Footnote numbering question

If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michel Michel is offline

I don't think you can because with this same logic Word would have to create
a system to generate 3 asterisks for 3rd footnote, 4 for a 4th one etc

"RDP048" wrote:

If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The usual sequence is *, ?, ?, §, ¶, which is one of the selections for
"Number format." If you choose to use a custom mark, you have to do it
manually.

"RDP048" wrote in message
If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, of course you look at the adjacent ones to see that they use a
comma separator ...

Before numbered footnotes became standard, a double-vertical was often
used as the fourth or fifth footnote siglum.

"RDP048" wrote in message

If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? *Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that you can't enter a series
of custom marks; you have to do them one at a time. Moreover, Word provides
a sequence of marks beginning with an asterisk, a series that I consider
preferably to increasing numbers of asterisks.

"RDP048" wrote in message

If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 9, 9:39*am, RDP048 wrote:
If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? *Thanks for any help..

If those are the _only_ footnotes in the document, then go to the
footnote customizing panel (wherever it hides in whichever version you
have) and type the characters you want into the "Custom" box. If you
type an asterisk, and a dagger, and a double dagger, and a pilcrow
(silly name for the paragraph sign!), then for the fifth footnote,
it'll do a double asterisk. When you use these symbols, you'd better
be sure to Start Over on Each Page!

Thus it seems likely that if you type nothing but an asterisk in the
Custom box, it'll just keep adding asterisks for successive footnotes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you actually tried this? If you type all these into the Custom box at
once, you'll get a footnote with all the symbols at once. But you can, as
I've pointed out, choose the *, ?, ?, § sequence instead of 1, 2, 3.

"grammatim" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 9:39 am, RDP048 wrote:
If I use the character * as my first footnote reference, can I get Word to
label the next footnote ** or is this not possible? Thanks for any help.

If those are the _only_ footnotes in the document, then go to the
footnote customizing panel (wherever it hides in whichever version you
have) and type the characters you want into the "Custom" box. If you
type an asterisk, and a dagger, and a double dagger, and a pilcrow
(silly name for the paragraph sign!), then for the fifth footnote,
it'll do a double asterisk. When you use these symbols, you'd better
be sure to Start Over on Each Page!

Thus it seems likely that if you type nothing but an asterisk in the
Custom box, it'll just keep adding asterisks for successive footnotes.

footnote numbering Ryskas Microsoft Word Help 2 September 14th 07 11:52 AM
Footnote numbering KC8DCN Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 06 02:18 PM
footnote numbering Sue Page Layout 1 January 12th 06 06:29 PM
footnote numbering Jennifer Microsoft Word Help 1 November 15th 05 11:47 PM
Gap in footnote numbering cady.stanton Microsoft Word Help 1 June 15th 05 05:57 AM