Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Default Online forms- tables or frames??

I am looking for some simple forms assistance. Using Office 2000, I need to
design a form that will retain its layout after fields are filled in. The
form must have multiple fields on the same line, otherwise it is unusable.

Regardless of the field length set in properties, the onscreen form field
placeholder remains at 5 characters long. This forces me to use spaces or
tabs to position the next field or data label in proper position. These
spaces, tabs, CR then are inserted between end of one field and beginning of
next when the form is completed online, which of course with insert mode on,
corrupts the layout.

I have read thru a number of articles about using tables to limit length of
fields. This is not an option as this form is being emailed to Blackberry
users. Tables appear as a hyperlink that user must activate to see contents,
then they are unable to return to remainder of the document.

I was interested in the text frames options, however I have been unable to
insert a frame following a textual label, regardless of my formatting options
the frame precedes the text label or sits on a separate line. What am I doing
wrong in position my text frame?

Is this issue resolvable without VBA? I am not comfortable working in the
VBA language at this time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?SlIgSGVzdGVy?=,

My opinion is that Word is not the right tool for what you need. Word is based
on text-flow; that's what the form fields are designed to do.

You could TRY using the ActiveX fields from the Controls Toolbox, but they're
rather resource-intensive so no idea how Blackberry will handle them.

I suspect you should be looking at an HTML form (to be used in a web browser).
Or possibly InfoPath.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Editing Online Forms Air Force Paper Pusher Tables 2 May 1st 06 04:25 PM
creating online forms csr1176 New Users 0 April 17th 06 05:32 PM
Forms & Tables Help Needed Formatting Long Documents 1 September 1st 05 06:34 PM
Tables and Forms FredEp57 Tables 1 July 7th 05 07:50 PM
making forms to be used online (filling in blanks) A. Toczko Microsoft Word Help 1 May 10th 05 08:40 PM