Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jk jk is offline

Default Separating Footnotes

I have added footnotes to my document but want to add another footnote NEXT
to one that is already there. putting a comma between them doesn't seem to
separate them at all and each time I go to look at them only the first one
comes up. This is probably a stupid question, but should I redo both
footnotes or what?
--
JK
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that the ScreenTip doesn't display correctly? That I can
certainly reproduce when two footnote references have been inserted very
close to each other.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JK" wrote in message
I have added footnotes to my document but want to add another footnote NEXT
to one that is already there. putting a comma between them doesn't seem to
separate them at all and each time I go to look at them only the first one
comes up. This is probably a stupid question, but should I redo both
footnotes or what?
--
JK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you type some spaces before you insert the second footnote, you'll
know they're not getting melded together; once both footnotes are
showing up properly, delete all the spaces but one (turn on Show Non-
Printing Characters to be sure you get that right), and then type your
comma before the space. (If it doesn't inherit the Superscript style
from the footnote number, select it and press Ctrl-Shift-+.)

"JK" wrote in message

I have added footnotes to my document but want to add another footnote NEXT
to one that is already there. putting a comma between them doesn't seem to
separate them at all and each time I go to look at them only the first one
comes up. This is probably a stupid question, but should I redo both
footnotes or what?
--
JK-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jk jk is offline

Thanks for replying.

As of right now, I have them separated by a single space AND I can view them
if the arrow is on one side for one and the other side for the other. Hope
that made sense. In other words, if the arrow sits to the left of the first
footnote number it shows that one, when it sits to the RIGHT of the other
number it shows that one. Would I necessarily HAVE to put a comma between
them? Because the document is a family tree report and isn't going to be
graded or anything.
--
JK

"JK" wrote in message

I have added footnotes to my document but want to add another footnote NEXT
to one that is already there. putting a comma between them doesn't seem to
separate them at all and each time I go to look at them only the first one
comes up. This is probably a stupid question, but should I redo both
footnotes or what?
--
JK-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just think of the reader ... you don't want them hunting for note 34
when you just want them to look at notes 3 and 4! That's what the
comma does.

Me, I find it annoying that notes show up as screen tips whenever the
cursor gets anywhere near them, but I keep screen tips turned on
because they're useful elsewhere.

"JK" wrote in message

I have added footnotes to my document but want to add another footnote NEXT
to one that is already there. putting a comma between them doesn't seem to
separate them at all and each time I go to look at them only the first one
comes up. This is probably a stupid question, but should I redo both
footnotes or what?
--
JK--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jk jk is offline

That's true, then I guess I will put a comma in between and make sure it
matches with the numbers. My genealogy software could create the report
automatically but I like doing them myself, that way I can add the footnotes
since they are pretty much notes on what research I've done or that needs to
be done.
--
JK