Tim Baur

Default Merge Documents in Memory

I have a project that involves opening several Word documents in memory,
making changes to the text, merging them into one master document, and
printing it to one file. The problem I'm facing is that I can't figure out
how to merge the document objects without saving them first.

Word appears to have no problem merging documents from file, but I would
rather avoid this. Writing the changed document to file first would cause
unnecessary overhead.

I considered programmatically using cut and paste operations to accomplish
the merge, but this seems like a hack. Can anyone suggest a better way?

Many thanks in advance,
-Tim
Jonathan West

Hi Tim,

Take a look at the FormattedText property in the Word VBA help. The code
example contains details on how to copy formatted text between open
documents without using the clipboard.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

"Tim Baur" wrote in message
48.16...
I have a project that involves opening several Word documents in memory,
making changes to the text, merging them into one master document, and
printing it to one file. The problem I'm facing is that I can't figure
out
how to merge the document objects without saving them first.

Word appears to have no problem merging documents from file, but I would
rather avoid this. Writing the changed document to file first would cause
unnecessary overhead.

I considered programmatically using cut and paste operations to accomplish
the merge, but this seems like a hack. Can anyone suggest a better way?

Many thanks in advance,
-Tim

Tim Baur

"Jonathan West" wrote in news:OrkieQGlFHA.3336
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

Hi Tim,

Take a look at the FormattedText property in the Word VBA help. The code
example contains details on how to copy formatted text between open
documents without using the clipboard.

Thanks, Jonathan. I'll give that a go.