Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ironHorse ironHorse is offline

Default Graphics lost on File Transfer . . .

Transfering 200 Page Manuscript from Desktop A to Laptop B
created in Word from Office 2003, resident in both machines,
A runs Windows XP Media Center ( all updates ) B runs XP Pro
( all updates ) Problem: All imbedded graphics, clipart, and
some fill colors and formatting within Manuscript from A are
not present in B file transfer version . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check in tools options view on Machine B that Drawings is checked and
Picture placeholders is unchecked. If that doesn't fix it are you sure the
images are embedded and not linked (and thereby not present)?

ironHorse wrote:
Transfering 200 Page Manuscript from Desktop A to Laptop B
created in Word from Office 2003, resident in both machines,
A runs Windows XP Media Center ( all updates ) B runs XP Pro
( all updates ) Problem: All imbedded graphics, clipart, and
some fill colors and formatting within Manuscript from A are
not present in B file transfer version . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?aXJvbkhvcnNl?=,

Transfering 200 Page Manuscript from Desktop A to Laptop B
created in Word from Office 2003, resident in both machines,
A runs Windows XP Media Center ( all updates ) B runs XP Pro
( all updates ) Problem: All imbedded graphics, clipart, and
some fill colors and formatting within Manuscript from A are
not present in B file transfer version . . .

What technology are you using for the transfer? In what file
format is the document saved? Does LaptopB have Word 2003
installed? (I just have to ask...)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ironHorse ironHorse is offline

What technology are you using for the transfer? In what file
format is the document saved? Does LaptopB have Word 2003
installed? (I just have to ask...)

Windows Explorer from A: drag/drop to Flash Drive, Flash Drive to B:,
B has exact same Version of Office Word 03 as A; saved format is
standard .DOC file . . .

thanks Cindy

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ironHorse ironHorse is offline

Drawings is checked and Picture placeholders unchecked in both A and B . . .

not sure how or if images are embedded and/or not linked ???

thanku Graham . . .

ironHorse wrote:
Transfering 200 Page Manuscript from Desktop A to Laptop B
created in Word from Office 2003, resident in both machines,
A runs Windows XP Media Center ( all updates ) B runs XP Pro
( all updates ) Problem: All imbedded graphics, clipart, and
some fill colors and formatting within Manuscript from A are
not present in B file transfer version . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ironHorse ironHorse is offline

Clarification:

This Manuscript, of which I refered to only a Segment ( 200 pages )
is part of a larger body of work comprising over 3,000 Pages, and
All began their existence way back in 1995 . . . and, obviously have
gone thru multitudes of upgrades ( newer machines, etc.) and began
their life in Word 3.1, to Word 97, to Word 2000, to Word 2003,
and ALL transformations have been successful from machine to
machine, with all drawing formats preserved etc. UNTIL this
transfer to laptop B . . .

consequently, I am also going to assume that ALL the Pages in
laptop B ( 3,000 ) have lost their graphics, which are just simple
things created in Draw, or modified clipArt, etc . . .

I am not in dire straits, since I still have all Versions in A, but
acquired laptop b as portable workstation, etc.

thanks Again Folks . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ironHorse ironHorse is offline

with document displayed, Alt F9 does not ~do~ anything, even if the image is
captured for formatting . . . ( this is on A desktop, by the way, the
~master~ document )

however, noticed that if I choose an alternate View, such as Normal or
Outline,
NONE of the graphics are present, and, since I have ALWAYS prefered to work
in Print View ( what u see, is what u print ), I never knew they WEREN'T
there . . .
until today . . .

and, Your reference to ~Linked vs Embedded~ has really got me wondering . . .

they do not seem to be embedded, just linked, which would mean . . . what ?

that they exist in a file outside of the document ? and therefore do not get
called upon to ~transfer~ when requested ? yet, they seem to have been
~embedded~
even on the Flash Drive Copy ( used to transfer to laptop B )

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If the images are linked, ALT+F9 will display field codes in place of the
images.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Normal view will only display graphics that are inserted in line with the
text. If when the graphics are on view ALT+F9 does not change to a field
code then the graphics are not linked.