Jim K

Default Find/Replace misses search string in endnotes

It seems that EditFind/Replace does not look in endnotes for the search
string. How do I make it look everywhere? In my 400-page book, there are
probably 25-30 pages of endnotes. (Using Word 2000)
Daiya Mitchell

It does search in endnotes. It just searches the entire main text first,
then searches the endnotes. If you had the cursor on page 350, it will
search 350-400 and then 1-350 before it gets to the notes.

If you just want to search the endnotes, put the cursor in an endnote and
then run F&R, and it will search all the notes first (and might then stop, I
can never remember whether it automatically goes onto the main text or not).

If you let it go through the main text but it didn't go back to search the
notes, click on More and make sure Search is set to "All", not Down or Up.

If you want to know *why* Word works this way, see he
http://daiya.mvps.org/wordpages.htm

If you are interested in a collection of links useful for long documents
such as yours, see he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jim K

Thank you Daiya - I was too impatient, it did a replace on what was the last
page of "real" text and I exited, assuming that it would do the endnotes
after the real text for each chapter. When I pushed onwards, Word found the
endnotes as you predicted.

Also thanks for the references on long documents.