Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Easily_A_Noid Easily_A_Noid is offline

Default Open new document with headers and footers as before.

My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option to turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with headers/footers. Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Please do not post your Question (which is what you're asking if
you want an answer) as a "Suggestion for Microsoft". In Word,
click on Tools | Options | View tab | check the "White space
between pages" box | OK. By the way, the white space setting is
enabled by default until changed by the braniac user.

Easily_A_Noid wrote:
My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option to turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with headers/footers. Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I hate to tell you, but (as Garfield also points out) the default setting is
to show the white space. You probably toggled it off by clicking at the
wrong time and place; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

"Easily_A_Noid" wrote in message
My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and

requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option to

turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with headers/footers.

Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Easily_A_Noid Easily_A_Noid is offline

The suggestion was "...change it back!" Further, the white space setting is
checked. I opened a new document at it too shows no headers or footers. So
I unchecked it and opened another new document...still no headers or footers.
Therefore, I again suggest that the braniac designer restore the Word
default to show the headers and footers upon opening a new document and then
allow them to be turned off rather than the other way around.

Easily_A_Noid wrote:
My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option to turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with headers/footers. Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Easily_A_Noid Easily_A_Noid is offline

Thank you, but as I pointed out in my second post, I tried toggling both ways
and it doesn't appear to matter whether its toggled on or off. When I open
the new document, no white space. I checked the normal.dot and white space
is checked there. I shut down and cold started. Still get a new document
with no header/footer and when I looked at the tools/options, white space
still checked.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no need to "change it back", because Microsoft didn't
change it to begin with. Headers and footers are normally
displayed only in Print Layout view (View | Print Layout)...
maybe your document is opening in some other view (maybe Normal
view)? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm
..

Easily_A_Noid wrote:

My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option to turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with headers/footers. Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you in Print Layout view when you get no header or footer? The only
scenario I can imagine in which "White space" is enabled on the View tab of
Tools | Options and you see no header or footer is that you are in Normal,
Web Layout, or Outline view.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I hate to tell you, but (as Garfield also points out) the default

setting is
to show the white space. You probably toggled it off by clicking at the
wrong time and place; see

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Easily_A_Noid" wrote in

message
My Word 2003 opens a new document with no header/footer spaces and

requires
user to "View"/"Headers and footers." Which MS braniac thought this

was a
good idea. Older versions opened with headers/footers and an option

turn
them off. Oddly, the template (Normal.dot) opens with

headers/footers.
Why
doesn't a document that is based on the template? If this is just my
machine, then how do I change it? If it is supposed to be part of the

MS
Word Improvement program, it ain't...change it back!

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.