Lynn Taylor

Default Sum Above table with merged cells in Word 2003

I have a table, row one has more cells than row two. Row
two has 5 cells, row one has 12 cells. The last col of
row one holds numbers I would like to sum. Cell 5 of row
two is lined up with cell 12 of row one. I put sum above
in cell 5 of second row but the sum above seems to be
adding all numbers together from cells 5 onwards in row
1. For example, row one, cell 5 contains a date 25-mar-
05, and row one cell 7 contains text and a number Staff:
1. Row one cell 12 contains an amount 100.00. The sum
above adds 100 + 25 + 05 + 1 which totals 131!!

Any ideas anyone - by the way, it works ok in Word 2000
CyberTaz

Hi Lynn-

Wish I had an answer, but instead I just have a question. When you refer to
it works ok in Word 2000, are you sure the summing wasn't done _before_
the table was restructured?

I've never had any luck inserting functions in tables where merged cells
were involved. The calc fields have also lost their reliability to update
accurately even if the merging took place after the (originally successful)
function was inserted.

TIA |:)

"Lynn Taylor" wrote:

I have a table, row one has more cells than row two. Row
two has 5 cells, row one has 12 cells. The last col of
row one holds numbers I would like to sum. Cell 5 of row
two is lined up with cell 12 of row one. I put sum above
in cell 5 of second row but the sum above seems to be
adding all numbers together from cells 5 onwards in row
1. For example, row one, cell 5 contains a date 25-mar-
05, and row one cell 7 contains text and a number Staff:
1. Row one cell 12 contains an amount 100.00. The sum
above adds 100 + 25 + 05 + 1 which totals 131!!

Any ideas anyone - by the way, it works ok in Word 2000

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Lynn,

You may find the information here useful:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...eIncorrect.htm
to possibly use the Table Cell Helper to identify the
id's of the cells you want to add in your =sum(... formula.
'Above' visually may not be the same as 'Above' to Word
logically

=========

--
Let us know if this helped you,