vp

Default automatic word count work the same way as page numbering in the f.

Graham Mayor

Greg Maxey

Graham,

Where you intending this as a reply to some arcane post that doesn't appear
to be referenced anywhere in your posting?

If not, then I would say that you have asked a rather cryptic question. ;-)

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

vp

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Graham,

Where you intending this as a reply to some arcane post that doesn't appear
to be referenced anywhere in your posting?

If not, then I would say that you have asked a rather cryptic question. ;-)

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Graham Mayor wrote:

I did not mean to be "cryptic". Perhaps I should phrase my question more clearly. I am writing a paper and I would like the word count to register as a footnote as I am writing. If it is possible for the page numbering in the auto text to adjust atomatically, why can't the same thing be done with the word count feature? The only way I am able to do it now is by selecting the text and manually typing in the word count.

I have bookmarked your web page that I am sure will be helpful for future
projects. Thank you for your input.
vp
Daiya Mitchell

Use Insert | Field, select Document Info in left column and NumWords in the
right column. OK to insert it. I think you will need to right-click and
"update field" every so often to update it, or select and hit F9, it won't
increase automatically. I am not sure whether you can put it in a footnote,
and wouldn't advise you to anyhow.

MacWord does have a Live Word Count on the status bar that automatically
adjusts, but I think the Win versions don't? Someone will correct me if I
am wrong. Maybe WinWord has a Word Count Toolbar that does the same?

However, there is little unhealthier than constantly staring at the word
count, and I would not be surprised if over-concentration on the word count
resulted in a worse paper than otherwise. It would also slow Word down a bit
to be constantly calculating the numbers.

On 4/9/05 7:13 AM, "vp" wrote:

I did not mean to be "cryptic". Perhaps I should phrase my question more
clearly. I am writing a paper and I would like the word count to register as
a footnote as I am writing. If it is possible for the page numbering in the
auto text to adjust atomatically, why can't the same thing be done with the
word count feature? The only way I am able to do it now is by selecting the
text and manually typing in the word count.
I have bookmarked your web page that I am sure will be helpful for future
projects. Thank you for your input.
vp

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Graham Mayor

Fields do not automatically update to show a running total. You could use a
{numwords} field and from time to time update that field - the code at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm attached to a toolbar button
would make that easier.

Graham Mayor wrote:

I did not mean to be "cryptic". Perhaps I should phrase my question
more clearly. I am writing a paper and I would like the word count
to register as a footnote as I am writing. If it is possible for the
page numbering in the auto text to adjust automatically, why can't
the same thing be done with the word count feature? The only way I
am able to do it now is by selecting the text and manually typing in
the word count.

I have bookmarked your web page that I am sure will be helpful for
future projects. Thank you for your input.
vp

vp

On 4/9/05 7:13 AM, "vp" wrote:

I did not mean to be "cryptic". Perhaps I should phrase my question more
clearly. I am writing a paper and I would like the word count to register as
a footnote as I am writing. If it is possible for the page numbering in the
auto text to adjust atomatically, why can't the same thing be done with the
word count feature? The only way I am able to do it now is by selecting the
text and manually typing in the word count.
I have bookmarked your web page that I am sure will be helpful for future
projects. Thank you for your input.
vp

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

thanks, Daiya. I'll let you know if it works.

WinWord does have a Word Count toolbar, but you have to click Recount to
update it.

.. .

On 4/9/05 7:13 AM, "vp" wrote:

I did not mean to be "cryptic". Perhaps I should phrase my question more
clearly. I am writing a paper and I would like the word count to

register as
a footnote as I am writing. If it is possible for the page numbering in

the
auto text to adjust atomatically, why can't the same thing be done with

the
word count feature? The only way I am able to do it now is by selecting

the
text and manually typing in the word count.
I have bookmarked your web page that I am sure will be helpful for

future
projects. Thank you for your input.
vp

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/