ATK31

Default Recent Security patch for WORD

I downloaded the recent security patch for WORD, KB887977.

The installation process required the CD for €śOFFICE 2000 SR-1 Premium€ť.

When I used my CD, marked €śOFFICE 2000 Premium€ť, I got the error message:
€śOFFICE 2000 Premium is not a valid package€ť.

I tried the suggested option of downloading a larger update package that
might not require a CD. This option still required the above CD and thus
failed.

How can I install the security update for WORD 2000?

My system:
========.
WINDOWS 2000 PRO, Version 5.0, SP-4.
WORD 2000 9.0 SP-3
SR-1a and all other previous patches for both Windows 2000 and Office 2000
are installed.

Thank you.
Beth Melton

Office 2000 SR-1 Premium is not the same as Office 2000 Premium. Did
Office come preinstalled on your computer? If so then it sounds like
they installed one version and supplied you with installation CDs for
another.

If you are unable to obtain the correct installation CDs then are you
able to uninstall Office 2000 SR-1 and install Office 2000? If you
encounter any errors post back and let us know what they are - we
should be able to help you resolve them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"ATK31" wrote in message
I downloaded the recent security patch for WORD, KB887977.

The installation process required the CD for "OFFICE 2000 SR-1
Premium".

When I used my CD, marked "OFFICE 2000 Premium", I got the error
message:
"OFFICE 2000 Premium is not a valid package".

I tried the suggested option of downloading a larger update package
that
might not require a CD. This option still required the above CD and
thus
failed.

How can I install the security update for WORD 2000?

My system:
========.
WINDOWS 2000 PRO, Version 5.0, SP-4.
WORD 2000 9.0 SP-3
SR-1a and all other previous patches for both Windows 2000 and
Office 2000
are installed.

Thank you.

ATK31

Thank you for your response.

The originally installed version is €śOffice 2000 Premium€ť and it definitely
matches the CD I have.

SR-1a was installed at some later date by checking Microsofts official
WINDOWS/OFFICE UPDATE website and accepting the recommendation for installing
a patch.

The recent security patch for WORD came from the same Microsofts website.

Microsofts system is supposed to check the version of the installed
software before recommending that the user downloads a patch.

Thus, if there is a mix-up with versions, it is entirely Microsofts fault.

Any advice?

Thank you for your help.
Beth Melton

The message you are encountering is from the Windows Installer - not
the MS site.

Did you verify the versions of Office you are using in Add/Remove
Programs in your Control Panel?

Also, in your Registry navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

and select each GUID on the left and view the DisplayName on the
right. Does the GUID for Office 2000 indicate Office 2000 SR-1 Premium
or Office 2000 Premium?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"ATK31" wrote in message
Thank you for your response.

The originally installed version is "Office 2000 Premium" and it
definitely
matches the CD I have.

SR-1a was installed at some later date by checking Microsoft's
official
WINDOWS/OFFICE UPDATE website and accepting the recommendation for
installing
a patch.

The recent security patch for WORD came from the same Microsoft's
website.

Microsoft's system is supposed to check the version of the installed
software before recommending that the user downloads a patch.

Thus, if there is a mix-up with versions, it is entirely Microsoft's
fault.

Any advice?

Thank you for your help.

ATK31

Dear Ms. Melton,

Thank you for your response.

The installed version is €śOFFICE 2000 SR-1 PREMIUM, Version 9.00.9327€ť.

(I verified by checking both the list in the Control Panel and the Registry).

As I indicated in my previous posting, the originally installed version was
€śOffice 2000 Premium€ť and it definitely matches the original CD I have.

SR-1a was installed at some later date by checking Microsofts official
WINDOWS/OFFICE UPDATE website and accepting the recommendation for installing
a patch.

Thank you for your help.

Beth Melton

If the installed version in the Registry is "OFFICE 2000 SR-1 PREMIUM"
then that's why it's prompting you for the SR-1 installation CD.

Office 2000 retailed in two versions: Office 2000 SR-1 and Office
2000. The DisplayName value in the Registry was created when Office
was installed.

I believe I asked this previously but didn't see the answer, did
Office 2000 come preinstalled or did you install it later?

Also, in case you didn't know this, you are accessing Usenet using the
web interface on the Microsoft web site. There are 1000s of
newsreaders and other web sites that provide access to Usenet. So it's
best to not modify the Subject due to how other newsreaders group
message threads. Many of them use the Subject and it makes it
difficult to follow the full thread when it is split up. Plus it makes
it difficult to go back and find the original thread in order to
review it for something I may have missed. I use Outlook Express to
access the newsgroups and I usually review replies to my messages and
create a reply for each one. I may not actually write my response and
post it until later. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"ATK31" wrote in message
Dear Ms. Melton,

Thank you for your response.

The installed version is "OFFICE 2000 SR-1 PREMIUM, Version
9.00.9327".

(I verified by checking both the list in the Control Panel and the
Registry).

As I indicated in my previous posting, the originally installed
version was
"Office 2000 Premium" and it definitely matches the original CD I
have.

SR-1a was installed at some later date by checking Microsoft's
official
WINDOWS/OFFICE UPDATE website and accepting the recommendation for
installing
a patch.

Thank you for your help.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi ATK31,

TO add to Beth's reply. MS Office 2000 was the
last edition of MS Office that used "Service Releases"
rather than "Service Packs" to update the products.

A Service Release could be obtained by a download or
patch CD but the product would also be released as a
new CD with the Service Release (SR) changes built in.

In the case of Office 2000 the designation would change
from Office 2000 to Office 2000 SR1 no matter which update
method you selected.

Generally, when you are asked for the CD if it asks for
the Office 2000 Premium CD in the 'use feature from' box
in that dialog then your original one should work, however,
in that box it may also ask for a related CD for a 2000
series product listed in Add/Removed Programs in the
Windows Control panel other than the Office 2000 CD.

There are also a couple of scenarios with that particular
Service Release that could cause it to not recognize the
original CD, but see if the above applies first.

========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

ATK31

Thank you Beth Melton and Bob Buckland for your kind responses.

Beth Melton asked:

If the installed version in the Registry is "OFFICE 2000 SR-1 PREMIUM" then that's why it's prompting you for the SR-1 installation CD?

This is a good question. I do not know the answer.
It would be very helpful if MICROSOFT would provide an answer.

I already indicated in my previous postings that the originally installed
version was €śOffice 2000 Premium€ť and it definitely matches the original CD
that I bought.

SR-1a was installed at some later date by downloading a patch from MICROSOFT.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245025/
"How to obtain and install the Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a Update"

Bob Buckland wrote:

In the case of Office 2000 the designation would change from Office 2000 to Office 2000 SR1 no matter which update method you selected.

Evidently, this is indeed the case.

I purchased a CD of €śOFFICE 2000 Premium€ť and now I cannot install the
recent security patch because I also accepted MICROSOFTs recommendation to
install SR-1.

Many thousands of users that installed OFFICE 2000 and then downloaded the
SR-1 have the same problem.

Do you have any advice?
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi ATK31,

If the only CD being asked for is an Office 2000 one
in the 'use feature from' box, see if you can complete
Detect & Repair from the Help menu in Word or from
the Office 2000 choice in the Windows Control Panel.

If not, if an installed .MSP (MS Patch file) has been
deleted you may need to use the MS Installer cleanup
utility, restart the PC then reinstall & reupdate.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...us;290301&FR=1

=========

Bob Buckland wrote:

In the case of Office 2000 the designation would change from Office 2000 to Office 2000 SR1 no matter which update method you

selected.

Evidently, this is indeed the case.

I purchased a CD of "OFFICE 2000 Premium" and now I cannot install the
recent security patch because I also accepted MICROSOFT's recommendation to
install SR-1.

Many thousands of users that installed OFFICE 2000 and then downloaded the
SR-1 have the same problem.

Do you have any advice?
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

ATK31

Dear Mr. Buckland,

Thank you for your response.

Evidently, €śDetect & Repair€ť is required for MICROSOFTs procedures and
PRODUCTS QUALITY.

Clearly, MS FORGOT to make the discussed security patch suitable for ALL
those users who have downloaded SR-1 from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245025/.

There is also no address in MS one can write to and ask the problem to be
solved.

Considering what we know about the quality of MS products, I do not dare any
further changes in the installation of OFFICE.

Note the warning for the MS Installer Cleanup Utility: €śIf you use this
utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised.€ť