Ashathome

Default Restoring an old document

I wrote a letter (laboriously) then wrote another using the first as a
template and hit "Save" so I lost the original (important) letter. There is
nothing saved under "versions". Can I get access to the original letter
somehow?

Thanks!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QXNoYXRob21l?=,

I wrote a letter (laboriously) then wrote another using the first as a
template and hit "Save" so I lost the original (important) letter. There is
nothing saved under "versions". Can I get access to the original letter
somehow?

Not if your Word installation isn't set up to automatically create a backup
copy (Tools/Options/Save). If it does this, then the original letter will still
be in the backup copy - as long as you only saved ONCE. Otherwise, it's
definitely gone if you don't create regular backups to some kind of medium.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

CyberTaz

Hello-

Not meant as a "told ya so", but any time you want to use an existing file
as a model for another document, open the original and Save As _first_ to
create the new doc. When you make your revisions & save the changes will be
saved to it and the original will remain intact.

If you frequently need to create new docs based on an existing model,
investigate creating Templates in Word Help.

Regards |:)