Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] machellewilchesky@gmail.com is offline

Default Grayed-out Page-Numbers option?

Hi
I've brought together several documents to create one master document
and now realise that my page-numbers option has been disabled. There
was a footer for one of the sub-documents and I read in one post that
this may have something to do with it.

What can I do to fix this?

thanks,

Machelle
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] machellewilchesky@gmail.com is offline

On Mar 29, 5:38*pm, "
wrote:
Hi
I've brought together several documents to create one master document
and now realise that my page-numbers option has been disabled. There
was a footer for one of the sub-documents and I read in one post that
this may have something to do with it.

What can I do to fix this?

thanks,

Machelle

Bump! Did no one bother to read this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Machelle,

What version of Word are you using, what are the steps you used to create a master document and what are the steps you're trying to
use that lead to the page numbers being disabled. (Word's master document feature is somewhat flawed).

=========
wrote in message ...

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] machellewilchesky@gmail.com is offline

wrote:
Hi
I've brought together several documents to create one master document
and now realise that my page-numbers option has been disabled. There
was a footer for one of the sub-documents and I read in one post that
this may have something to do with it.

What can I do to fix this?

thanks,

Machelle

Bump! Did no one bother to read this?
--

Bob *Buckland *?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

* *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

Sorry for the delay, Bob..
After the previous response I was somewhat discouraged from returning
and only noticed your interest in assisting me now.

I'm using MS Office Word 2003 SP1

What I've done is perhapse not a formal master document compilation
per se.
I have

1) Used styles to format major headings as heading one, captions as
caption etc;
2) Used section breaks to denote where chapters are supposed to begin
3) Pasted the contents of various preciously created documents in
their appropriate
sections (i.e. chapters);
4) generated a table of contents at the beginning.

I've noticed, by the way, that my paragraph option is also not
operational and I therefore also can not double space my text.

Do I have to just start again by inserting all text unformatted and
only then play with the formatting options for this to work? I hope
not as it will be days and days of work to accomplish this

thanks so much in advance,

machelle