Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jvh jvh is offline

Default Hanging Indent

Greetings,

I believe what I need is a hanging indent however the help file gives
the same instructions for all types of indentation and it is not
working as I thought it should.

I wish to put a word on the left side of the page such as Discuss,
Spec, Maint, etc and then tab over and start a block of text on the
same line and have the text continue at this column until I hit a hard
CR. After I type to the end of the line word then inserts a tab and my
block is indented on the first line. Perhaps I should use a table but
then aligning rows seems to be an equal chore.

Thanx,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes. What you want is called hanging indent. Choose Format - Paragraph
(Alt+O P), and set Special to Hanging. Set By: to an amount sufficient to
accommodate the longest initial word.

The built-in List style has hanging indent set, but in my experience, the
default .25" is not sufficient for what you want to do. You might set it to
1", instead.

You can also do what you want using a 2-column table.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"jvh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I believe what I need is a hanging indent however the help file gives
the same instructions for all types of indentation and it is not
working as I thought it should.

I wish to put a word on the left side of the page such as Discuss,
Spec, Maint, etc and then tab over and start a block of text on the
same line and have the text continue at this column until I hit a hard
CR. After I type to the end of the line word then inserts a tab and my
block is indented on the first line. Perhaps I should use a table but
then aligning rows seems to be an equal chore.

Thanx,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jvh jvh is offline

Thanks Herb!

Works like a hose, exactly what I wanted.

jh

How do I do a hanging indent, like I would use for references. Sheri Pelletrino Page Layout 1 May 13th 07 05:47 AM
Hanging Indent Problem [email protected] New Users 0 September 14th 06 09:21 AM
Hanging indent Neil Microsoft Word Help 2 January 13th 06 12:47 AM
Hanging indent? Jean Barto New Users 2 November 1st 05 10:02 AM
Hanging indent for document?. Sea Otter Microsoft Word Help 9 December 29th 04 05:30 PM