Brian Ellis

Default Format of addresses in personal letters

How do I layout the addresses in Word in the same style as in a hand written
letter, ie the senders address top right and the recipients address top left
but set down two or three rows.

It must be something to do with Fields but I cannot figure it out and there
must be a simpler way.

The need to overlap the addresses means the text flies about in an
uncontrolled way.

Brian

Nothing to do with fields. You can use a paragraph indent (easiest way is
with the ruler; see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm).
But given that you're in possession of something more sophisticated than a
typewriter, why don't you create a full-blown letterhead? See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
How do I layout the addresses in Word in the same style as in a hand

written
letter, ie the senders address top right and the recipients address top

left
but set down two or three rows.

It must be something to do with Fields but I cannot figure it out and

there
must be a simpler way.

The need to overlap the addresses means the text flies about in an
uncontrolled way.

Brian

Brian Ellis

Thanks but after typing the home address on the right, using the paragraph
indent, I have been unable to type the recipients address on the left side
of the page AND overlapping the home address by several lines without
disturbing the home address. Several lines of typing in each address share
the same rows so typing on the left disturbs the right hand side. Fields
would isolate the left from the right?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Nothing to do with fields. You can use a paragraph indent (easiest way is
with the ruler; see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm).
But given that you're in possession of something more sophisticated than a
typewriter, why don't you create a full-blown letterhead? See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
How do I layout the addresses in Word in the same style as in a hand

written
letter, ie the senders address top right and the recipients address top

left
but set down two or three rows.

It must be something to do with Fields but I cannot figure it out and

there
must be a simpler way.

The need to overlap the addresses means the text flies about in an
uncontrolled way.

Brian

IanRoy

Hi, Brian;
Set a left tab, not a paragraph indent, at the position you want your return
address to start. Then tab to it to type each line of your return address.
Then you can overlap it with the address to which you are sending the letter,
without trouble.
Look at that letterhead link that Susan Barnhill posted for other useful
ideas, and then save as a Document Template, so you can start each letter
with that work already out of the way.
Best Regards,
IanRoy

"Brian Ellis" wrote:

[...]

What you describe is not a standard format for any type of traditional
letter. The return address block/letterhead is always above the inside
address even if the former is aligned right of center (semi-block style).
See http://www.kanten.com/styleguide/pdfs/slsp.pdf or
http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/le...l_sblock_p.htm

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
How do I layout the addresses in Word in the same style as in a hand

written
letter, ie the senders address top right and the recipients address

top
left
but set down two or three rows.

It must be something to do with Fields but I cannot figure it out and

there
must be a simpler way.

The need to overlap the addresses means the text flies about in an
uncontrolled way.

Brian

Brian Ellis

Well, it is not a standard MS format thats for sure. Word seems to recognise
only Block, Semi-block and Modified Block but there is less wasted space if
the sender's address is on the right and the recipient's address is on the
left and overlapping by a few lines. This layout is often seen where the
company details are preprinted on the right and recipient's address details
typed high on the left. It is a format that has been in use for over 50
years to my knowledge and results in a more compact, neater appearance,
IMHO.

So there is no solution in Word, then?

[...]

IanRoy

See my post for the simplest solution in Word. You could also use a text box,
but that's more trouble than setting a tab.
-IanRoy

So there is no solution in Word, then?

Well, you could do it with a two-column borderless table, using a row with
an exact height larger deeper than either address. Set the vertical
alignment for the return address cell to Top and for the inside address to
Bottom. You could also add Space Before to the inside address paragraph to
force it down. You could use text boxes instead, but that's just asking for
trouble.

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

What's wrong with a right tab? Am I missing something?

Right tab-sender name
Right tab-sender address 1
Recipient name-right tab-sender address 2
Recipent address 1-right tab-sender city
Recipient address 2
Recipient city

Tad annoying to type.

DM

the sender's address is on the right and the recipient's address is on

the
left and overlapping by a few lines. This layout is often seen where the
company details are preprinted on the right and recipient's address

details
typed high on the left. It is a format that has been in use for over 50
years to my knowledge and results in a more compact, neater appearance,
IMHO.

So there is no solution in Word, then?

TF

My workaround has been to create my own letter template - as Suzanne was
implying as the best approach. I have placed my address details into a Text
Box at the right hand side. This leaves the left side free for simple
entering of the recipients details. As long as you don't intend to move to a
new location in the next week, making the template saves time and effort.

I have also attached my own Envelope to the template because Word's attempts
at envelopes leaves much to be desired!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Brian Ellis" wrote in message
: Thanks. Its a variation on Ians suggestion. It lacks a natural logic
: although it has a program logic.
:
:
: "Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
: .. .
: What's wrong with a right tab? Am I missing something?
:
: Right tab-sender name
: Right tab-sender address 1
: Recipient name-right tab-sender address 2
: Recipent address 1-right tab-sender city
: Recipient address 2
: Recipient city
:
: Tad annoying to type.
:
: DM

Graham Mayor

And if you do move around, save the address data as an autotext entry and
insert it in the template as an autotext field. As for envelopes, my
preferred approach is to use a separate envelope template (or templates).
There are some samples for download from my web site which integrate
automatically with Outlook.

TF wrote:
[...]

The thing is, if you're going to make a template, why have the return
address on the right? Why not create bona fide letterhead, with your name
and address at the top? You deserve it! I often put the CREATEDATE field in
the First Page Header as well so that I can start typing with the inside
address (actually for that I use DataPrompter).