Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert M Jones Robert M Jones is offline

Default templates dialogue box

Is there a way of creating a toolbar shortcut straight to the templates
dialogue box? (Word 2003)
I have a toolbar icon to take me to the New Document options in the
sidebar but would like to bypass that step and create a one click
shortcut to display the dialog for the templates "on my computer" which
are the only ones I ever choose from.
I used to be able to do this on Word 97 but can't work it out on 2003.
Many thanks.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Su it is already built in to Word but hidden because the marketing
department thinks no one uses it and it doesn't look sexy enough to be on a
toolbar by default!

Right-click on a toolbar and select Customize. Under Categories select
AllCommands, under Commands scroll down until you find FileNewDialog. Drag
and drop this onto a Toolbar: it will appear as 'OTHER' without a button
face. Either create your own button face or copy across one of the default
faces or simply rename it as NEW if that's your preference. Assign it a
shortcut if you want (Alt+N is usually available). Remember to save this
either to a template or to Normal.Dot when you close Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Robert M Jones" wrote in message
Is there a way of creating a toolbar shortcut straight to the templates
dialogue box? (Word 2003)
I have a toolbar icon to take me to the New Document options in the
sidebar but would like to bypass that step and create a one click shortcut
to display the dialog for the templates "on my computer" which are the
only ones I ever choose from.
I used to be able to do this on Word 97 but can't work it out on 2003.
Many thanks.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:
Su it is already built in to Word but hidden because the marketing
department thinks no one uses it and it doesn't look sexy enough to be
on a toolbar by default!

Right-click on a toolbar and select Customize. Under Categories select
AllCommands, under Commands scroll down until you find FileNewDialog.
Drag and drop this onto a Toolbar: it will appear as 'OTHER' without a
button face. Either create your own button face or copy across one of
the default faces or simply rename it as NEW if that's your preference.
Assign it a shortcut if you want (Alt+N is usually available). Remember
to save this either to a template or to Normal.Dot when you close Word.

Brilliant - that's exactly what I wanted.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I edit the button image so that it looks like it has text to distinguish it
from the New Blank Document button.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Me too. I use the standard Open button face and add a 'T' for templates.

Terry

I edit the button image so that it looks like it has text to distinguish it
from the New Blank Document button.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.